Coral Vue Hydros

Can anyone reccommend where to get "dead rock"??

newbiefishgirl

newbiefishgirl

I want to add some more rock work to the tank but I dont want to add LR because it will most likely cause a mini cycle. Do any of you know where to get cheep rock thats dead???

Do they sell it on some of these site?

I believe you're referring to base rock. Try your LFS. I have not seen it sold online, but I've never tried looking for it either.

you could also try tufa or lava rock. some peeps do not like lava but i always soak dry rock in FW for about a week with at least a couple of rinses.

most 'dead' rock sold on the net (that i see) are too dense imo to be very good. you're looking for very porous and light rock. altho some lava are also unsuitable ime, i've always tried to cherry pick the rubble that felt the lightest (i.e. handpicking is better). i've often seen the lava float for a few seconds until internal air pockets were displaced by water. (a very good sign for porosity for denitrating aspects and microfauna habitat imo).

rubble sections in lfs are often diamonds in the rough. hth

I ordered my 30 lbs.of rocks from Hirocks For $10.00+ shipping off Ebay were he sales the same stuff alot cheaper.:) Now if you go to his site hirocks.com to buy the same stuff he will charge you $30.00+shipping!!!! Good Quality Hawaiian base rock with plenty of holes. Check it out! Or if you would like, I have about 15 lbs of it left over. I would be willing to sale you some. They are about baseball to softball size. Heres the site, check it out!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...38405061HIROCKS.

newbiefishgirl

Ok Nanobound

If you sell me some of yours, which I probably would not need more than 15 lbs .. how much would it cost me to ship???

You think I would make about better...

how much do u want for it???

Do you have any pics to show me of your set up???

If you search around a bit on the GARF site at http://www.garf.org you will find some instructions on how to make your own rocks from "Aragocrete", a concrete you make with aragonite. Click on the How-To pages for details. I've never tried it but the rocks they make look pretty cool.

Archived