inTank Media Baskets

Frags?

jabce85

Okay, I've been reading as many posts as I can on this forum, and I was reading a lot about frags. I took it that frags were when you trimmed your corals back, but this puzzled me. Corals aren't exactly plant, but they aren't exactly animal either. So wouldn't it hurt them to cut them back? I know, I know, I'm such a noob at saltwater. Don't worry, I won't be starting one for a long time, but I was just curious about frags. Thanks for reading my first post!!! lol :blink:

corals are animals and fragging them is basically pruning them back a bit. the left over piece, if you did a good job is a fragment of the original coral, thus the name frag. That frag, if it is in decent shape, can be placed in the tank and allowed to grow into a new colony of its own.

SeaMountain

Welcome to NR.com n00b! Frags or 'Fragging' generally refers to when you slice/dice/peel/pry your corals to either make room around them, or when you want to ship them to Crakeur. ;)

Fragging is the act of cutting your corals, and then remounting them somehow by glue, epoxy, or allowing them to take their own sweet time to adhere to live rock. Many reefers will "Trade frags" with each other. Some will sell them directly.

Keep reading and certainly check out the Article section here. And by all means remove your FW sig line and drop something in there to raise eyebrows. Try "FREE DAVE C-DIDDY!" then you'll fit right in! :D

lol, thanks! I wondered where the word "frag" came from, and now I know! BTW, my sig sucks, I know, but I couldn't think of anything else. I'll try to come up with a good one just for you guys! :) Thanks again!

SeaMountain
Originally posted by Spencerx

newbie.jpg  

hehe ive been waiting to use one of those.... :D

Looks like you've found yourself a Kentucky Newbie Genus specimen judging by the beard. And pleez don't tell us how you'd want to use him... :x

On another note... You just may be JCT material! :D

Nishant3789

hmmmm i wonder if frags are basically identical clones. they would have hte exact same dna no? id be interested to find out how many xenias around the world have the same dna....

offsprg, I will not dignify that barb with a retort but I will say that, shoud I look like that in 5 years, 20 years or a hundred years, I would not sit naked at my computer and take a picture. Rather, I would blow my freakin brains out and save the world the misery of having to see me like that.

if you'd like to mix it up, please come to the jct thread. I'm sure a kappa sig would fit right in with the other goat humping, pedophiles we have in there.

Archived