Coral Vue Hydros

fuge/skimmer theory

krankykris

krankykris

hallo kiddies,

i has a question for yous.

i would like to run a CPR fuge. in fact, i do have one sitting idle. the problem being, it's a hair too large for the tank. the tank is 24" wide and the fuge is 21" and change. this wouldn't normally be a problem, but i want to continue running my nano remora. my options are:

1) run skimmer on the front = ugly, stoopit etc etc. not doing it.

2) no fuge = meh

3) no skimmer = also meh

4) run skimmer in fuge = the question!

pretty much the skimmer has to run as it's a mantis tank and fuge would be really lovely for nitrate uptake. the fuge will be powered by an MJ400, since low flow in a fuge is desirable. the nano remora runs on a MJ900. since the the flow in to the fuge is a lot lower than the flow on the skimmer, would it stand to reason it would continuously skim the same water, reducing efficiency of the skimmer? is running a skimmer in the fuge a poor idea for that reason?

also had one more thought for an option: 5) buy the remora surface skimmer box and turn the output box in to a minifuge with some floss, chaeto and a 10w drop in pond light.

who's got some thoughts?

krankykris
skimmer in the fuge?? your water is goonna be TOOO Clean...

you really think so? this is gonna be a mantis tank. i expect a decent amount of nitrates.

2OceanLovers

I would be worried because of the structural integrety(sp?) of the sides of the fuge. Would the joints of the fuge hold the weight of a full skimmer? I know that my BH100 holds about a gallon of water.

krankykris
I would be worried because of the structural integrety(sp?) of the sides of the fuge. Would the joints of the fuge hold the weight of a full skimmer? I know that my BH100 holds about a gallon of water.

ok, so maybe my approximation of measurement was off. this is the fuge that i have: http://www.cprusa.com/products/aquafuge.html

it's the medium size so it's Water Capacity: 3.60 Gallons Dimensions: 19" L x 4.5" W x 12" T

the thing appears to be pretty solid.

Archived