Cultivated Reef

RO is real slow

unbeatablebonz

unbeatablebonz

I just purchased an RO/DI 3 stage from Premium. It took me 3 hours to drip 5 gallons. Am I doing something wrong? Should the machine be raised above the bucket I am filling, or below (like on the floor)?

That's sounds like its a little on the slow side but it depends on how much your system outputs in GPD and your water pressure.

I'd like to say it depends on the GPD rating of your membrane

like 100 gpd should give you about 12 gallons in 3 hours

80 gpd should be 10 gallons in 3 hours

50 should be 6

and 25 should be 3

So basically if your membrane's rated for 50gpd, you're right on the dot. If it's not, you should only be worried if you should be producing a lot more water, as this means your water is most likely not as filtered as it should be.

If you're getting less water than expected, it's probably nothing... is your water pressure higher than 60 psi (this could be a cause)... make sure you're using cold water only.

Also, if you're breaking in your filter (eg. 1st 5 gallons made), wierd things happen. Make sure you don't use the water from the first 5 gallons, btw.

And unless your RO/DI is in the basement & your basin is on the top floor, the relative positions shouldn't matter that much. If you want to be extra safe, just keep your RO/DI above your basin.

Sorry if this is jumbled... just a newb trying to be an expert =P

Archived