Coral Vue Hydros

A COOLING issue

SmartaZaWhiP

SmartaZaWhiP

Hey all,

As some of you many know, I have a 7 gallon mini-bow. I have a Montipora Capricornus, pink tip Acropora, and brown acropora as well as many mushrooms and zoos. I live in Texas were even with two a/c units on my condo, I am having issues with my tank temp. I don't have a cooler, but do use a fan to blow over the tank. I don't turn the lights on (65w true actinic PC, and 32w 10K PC) until the night when temps are cooler. My house temp is still a HOT 77 degrees, and I can't seem to get my tank temp below 84 degrees!!!

I hate it because I now see my two acroporas developing tissue necrosis. My Monti cap is doing fine as well as my other corals and fish<---six line rass and yellow goby.

Other than the fan running over the tank to cool through evaporation, do any of you have any ideas as to how I can cool the tank?? or do you think I should just go to a larger tank for temp stablity I.e. 20H?

Thanks for your help in advance!

84 is a bit extreme, but my 65 runs in the 82 range during the day. the key is to maintain a gentle temp swing, especially in a small volume tank, where temps can change rapidly. What is the tank temp @ night or early AM? If it's dropping down to the mid-70's @ night, that's too extreme of a change. You may consider raising your nighttime temp via heater a little higher (79-80) to keep the swing more in check.

the microchiller works great for a tank that size but a fan should keep it cool. I have a fan blowing the air conditioned air onto my 26 (twin 150 watt halides and a 55 watt powercompact) gallon and the heater flips on all the time.

If you can't get the fan to keep it cool, either plop down the cash for a microchiller (get the controller too) than you might want to consider the Dave ESPI ghetto cooling method. Ice in a bag or frozen bottles of water (half filled so they don't burst)

SeaMountain

Agree. Temp stability is a key factor. A 7g is very susceptible to a wider temp swing then higher volume tanks. My 10g was doing fine with a fan until we hit some record temps for a couple of weeks. Fortunately I planned for it and had an IceProbe ready to go. Call me absurd, but I think the amount of corals and livestock many of us invest in - not even taken into account the amount of time expended on this $$$ hobby - another $150 is a very small price to pay to maintain a decent temp and not to lose everything you have already invested in. Or do like some and "AAAACK!"... Drop a frozen bottle of water into the tank! ;)

You're absurd, UMW.

How is your canopy / hood set up? I would recommend raising it up a little but, and let the fan blow across the top of the water and below the lights, thereby removing the heat as it works toward the water surface.

I have a 150 halide on my 10, but it's raised up, and I run a KMart $10 clip-on fan across the top and the heater clicks on all the time to maintain the 79 degree mark.

Archived