SaltCritters.com

Sump & CLS

Sf05

Hey Everyone :)

Just in the planning part of setting up a nano-reef, I've got the easier options out the way such as the lighting system, Ro Unit etc i'm going with :mellow:

One thing that i can never seem to get my head around is plumbing/circulation and so on... Hopefully this is where the more experienced members here can help me :happy:

The tank is being made and i'm going with 24" x 15" x 15" . I'm also having the stand custom made to accomodate a 18 x 12 x 12 sump underneath.

I Originally planned on having the tank drilled just twice, To take water to the sump and then the other to take it back up to the tank. I was going to have a 25X turnover through the tank and sump but have recently learned that this is not reccomended and electrically ineffiecent and that i should look to a closed loop for my bulk of circulation. I know i could just be simple and use powerheads with the sump but i'm trying to achieve a more modern equipment-free look to my tank so i don't want heater or powerheads ruining the view

I'd really appreciate it if you guys could help me design the plumbing for the CLS & Sump so that i can go back to my tank maker with the plans.

On The Way To The Sump

Tank to be drilled somewhere near the bottom corner. Fitted to a bulkhead which will use 1 90degree bend to drop the water down towards the sump. A 2nd 90degree bend will turn the piping into a pre-cut hole in the back of the stand. The piping will take a final 90degree bend so that the water is heading vertically downwards into the sump.

Questions!

1. What Saftey measures with this type of draining system could i use to stop the whole tank from flooding into the sump in the event of a power cut etc?

2. What could i use to reduce the noise of splashing and so on when the water gushes into the sump from the tank?

3. What protection could i use to stop snails fish etc going down into the sump?

The Sump

I'm trying to keep it as bog-standard as possible. My idea for the sump is basically just to hide the ugly equipment and to help provide some extra water movement in the tank.

So to keep this i haven't made plans for a fuge, oxygen chambers or so on is this okay? It's basically just a standard tank with the water entering in one end and leaving the other while being heated and temperature checked.

On The Way To The Tank

The cabinet is going to be 30" height and i want my bulkhead in to be about 6" high facing the rock to keep plenty of movement around that area. So as a rough estimate that would make my head height somewhere between 34-40". I'd like my sump to deliver 5X my tank turnover per hour, I'm in the UK what model pump would you reccomend?

Questions!

1. What size hole should i go with drilled into the tank to achieve this flow rate?

2. Also which pipe diameter would you reccomend?

I'll leave it at the sump for tonight and try and clear that issue up before i start on the CLS, Thanks for any help in advance i look forward to your ideas!

Dan

I have look at the Ehiem 1000+ Compact for the sump and possibly the Eheim 3000 compact for the CLS any thoughts on this brand and whether you think they would be too much?

Archived