Pod Your Reef

Tunze 9010 skimmer for 30g?

xbwolfx

Like the title says....is a Tunze 9010 protein skimmer over-kill for a 30g? Its rated for up to 264g.....too much for this tank?

I'm setting up my 30 gallon with the 9002 in the sump but plan B for me has been to go with this:

http://www.deltecusa.us/proteinskimmers/mce300.php

if the 9002 can't keep up. I would think the 9010 would be a little much unless you had a huge bioload. If there's nothing left to pull out of the water then all it does is waste electricity.

Yeah....ideally I wanted the 9005, but someone may give me a good deal on the 9010 that seems too good to pass up on. I also considered the 9002, but was afraid that it is too small....since it is rated for like 52g and people always say that manufacturer's numbers are always off and that 1/2 the gallon recommendation of the manufacturer is a good rule of thumb. Thanks for the input though - is that Deltec a hang-on model? I've never heard of it and don't know much about Deltec (I know they're supposed to be great skimmers, but you just don't hear much about them on the nano forums).

I plan on stocking slowly so I don't anticipate needing a lot of skimming for a while. I have left room in the sump to upgrade though.

The only person I've seen running the MCE300 is EZcompany on his Solana:

http://www.nano-reef.com/featured/?tank=10

It can be hung on the tank or used in sump. You know, if you can get a good deal on the 9010 then it wouldn't hurt the tank to run it. It's just more skimmer than you would probably need.

Oceanic 30g

I have heard the deltecs are amazing. Very expensive.

I just started a 30g and I am going to use a tunze nanoreefpack. 150W sunpod.

I have heard the deltecs are amazing. Very expensive.

I just started a 30g and I am going to use a tunze nanoreefpack. 150W sunpod.

Cool. I am also setting up a 30G oceanic and I originally bought the reefpack. I might throw the whole thing in the sump and run carbon in it as needed but I will definitely use the 9002 part of it. I just got an outer orbit 150W with 2 x 65W dual actinics to use over it too.

As for the deltec, it's cheaper than the tunze 9010 and about the same price as the 9005, so I don't think the price is so crazy for it.

Seems like there are lots of people setting up 30 gals around here these days.

Urchinhead

Depending on what you will have in the tank it could be overkill or too little. I use a 9005 with sump attachment (essentially the 9010 with a smaller collection cup) in my 40 because I am running a mixed SPS, LPS, and softie tank and need that level of skimming. If you plan to do the same then you will be ok.

Well....I just bought the 9010. It was $233 shipped. I figure that if it doesn't work out I can easily sell it and get most of my money back or can trade it for the 9002 or the 9005. I wanted the 9005 but then heard that you have to spend like $50 on the sump attachment, so that would have cost about $100 more than this slightly used 9010 (used about 3 months).

Archived