Top Shelf Aquatics

Had a problem tonight when I threw in a bag

xdfireguy

I just put a rinsed bag of CPE in and within seconds really, several heads of my torches shriveled up and started spewing. It looks like I have lost at least three heads, maybe as many as six. Tommorrow will tell.

I have yanked the CPE bag out. Ran all tests and all came back good (well 'trates were a little high at 5-10 ppm, but I have been fighting to get them to 0). Even ran copper - 0.

Thinking about doing as big of a water change as I can, but I just did one last night and my RO/DI has been trying to recouperate. I might be able to pull off a 20% with what I have, but it would be a fresh salt mix. I'm leaning against doing this. Especially since nothing else in my tank appears to have reacted at all. Could do more harm than good.

Going to keep a close eye on it for a little while tonight.

I also just thought about this one. The bag may have come in contact with a bag of Purigen that was already in there. I know many of you run both of these in the same system, and hope that someone can give me some feedback as to if this may have caused something.

I don't run the Elite but regular ChemiPure & Purigen, no problem. I do rinse both before putting in tank, they are back to back in my back chamber. Never tried the Elite, sorry.

• 2 weeks later...
I don't run the Elite but regular ChemiPure & Purigen, no problem. I do rinse both before putting in tank, they are back to back in my back chamber. Never tried the Elite, sorry.

How did this turn out???

I've been running ChemiPure Elite since I set up my tank and I have never once had anything like this happen. I run my ChemiPure Elite right on top of a bag of Purigen, so it wasn't that. Is there a chance the bag got something else on it? Maybe some soap or something when you were rinsing it?

I ended up having no losses, just a big scare.

I pulled the CPE, and haven't put it back in. It was rinsed, but maybe not enough. A while after I pulled it out, I noticed a black stain on my hands.

disaster999

thats from the carbon...its pretty normal. when i throw in a bag of chemi pure after a good rinse the carbon dust still got everywhere making everything black for a while, but the water clear right up and everything was fine

Archived