Top Shelf Aquatics

It's an anemone, hopefully it can finally be identified

TheCurriculum

TheCurriculum

slightly better pics, and the "The Unkown Mystery Coral of the 3g PicoTope" is starting to open back up a little ....

BTW thk's for everyone chiming in and helping, it's one of the reasons nano-reef is a great site and why I'm sending it out to people at work who like my tank and are interested in these pricey little water boxes

oh yeah I almost forgot hopefully it's a duncan fingerscrossed

post-3345-1212678410_thumb.jpg

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i think its a duncan. never seen a majano that took that long to grow (or recover).only way to be sure is to do what organism said.

TheCurriculum

Could someone provide a little more detail on the skeleton description...

When I pushed agaisnt the coral it contracted as in the pics, but I can't tell if there is a sub skeletal system or not... Since I'm not acutally sure what I'm looking feeling for... Will this be a solid outer body or a small interior support...

It did take a few hours for the coral to open back up and it's still not back to all the way, so it definitatly got PO'ed at the poking. Maybe by next week it will be big enough to get a clear shot of.

If it is a majano, how long before they start to multiply and how do they do it .... do they split or will a new one start to form next to it, or just a random spawning?

If it is a majano, would a peperment eat it?

Could someone provide a little more detail on the skeleton description...

When I pushed agaisnt the coral it contracted as in the pics, but I can't tell if there is a sub skeletal system or not... Since I'm not acutally sure what I'm looking feeling for... Will this be a solid outer body or a small interior support...

It did take a few hours for the coral to open back up and it's still not back to all the way, so it definitatly got PO'ed at the poking. Maybe by next week it will be big enough to get a clear shot of.

If it is a majano, how long before they start to multiply and how do they do it .... do they split or will a new one start to form next to it, or just a random spawning?

If it is a majano, would a peperment eat it?

It actually looks like the birth of a new Bubble Tip.

Marc

Fishfreak218

looks a lot like an anemone.... I would let it be and let it grow larger and then post pics for a better identification

I doubt its a Majano....I searched the internet after I was informed I had one:

Majano ID

The little guy in the second pic started out at 3 mm when I first noticed him and now he is about 5 mm, thats after about 3 weeks. He has looked the same ever since I first spotted him except for the size.

What you have does not look anything like what I have.

TheCurriculum

Well for now he's going to get to hang out on the rock

Once the coral is bigger I'll shoot a couple more pics ....

Thk's Everyone

angelacbishop

That looks like it could be a mini bubble tip anemone. They are very common in my area because reefers trade them back and forth and they are easy to maintain, but I rarely hear about them on this forum.

If that's what it is, they are capable of stinging but will normally stay in one spot once they're happy and only split every few months. You can feed them pretty much anything you feed your tank if you want but they don't need to be spot fed to survive.

Removal is easy unless they're in a crevice because you can just peel them off or use a powerhead or ice to make them want to detach. I have zoas thriving within an inch of mine so I don't think it's a big worry.

The tips on yours aren't as bubbly but I've seen mini BTAs that look like yours because they change shape based on flow, lighting, feeding, water quality, etc.

http://www.nano-reef.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=35469

http://www.nano-reef.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=35468

Kimberly63

I'd say leave it. It looks really cool whatever it is (I think it's a duncan). Just keep it away from your other stuff until it gets bigger just to see what it is.

TheCurriculum

Well it's now moved to the top of the rock; yesterday it was extending and moving around ... omgomgomg

The following pic has it moving around right to left, when I left it hadn't moved off that spot. So after the lights were off last night it decided to creep up there ... hmmm

The camera is out in the car so I'll get a shot of it in its new spot later today (umm maybe not now)

It's now bigger again ... this just me due to now being on top of the rock and the base widening due to better placement, but I think it's a little beigger regardless as the finders are larger

Well it's nice looking what ever it is

post-3345-1212865103_thumb.jpg

ok even more strange .. since i've turned on the lights and started writing this post it's now moved about a 1/4" back towards the side of the top of the rock (ummm 5 min's or less).. I just proped a rock up under it... hopefully it will move onto it ... this way I can try and contain him. :lockdown: at least move him to a corner by himself ...

Will a Majano move this quickly .. I've never heard of that in other post? I know an other anenomone's can move around I've never heard mention of such rapid movement ...

Its definately an anemone if its moving! I still say its not a majano though! You will probably have to wait till it gets bigger to get a definate I.d. Try feeding it, that will make it grow faster.

TheCurriculum

I'll try and pic some up, I may not be able to until Monday

oh FRAGLE ROCK, it stoped moving, why oh why do you do this to you little piece of thingy in my tank :P

none of the pics are that great ... but here we go :angry:

post-3345-1212867451_thumb.jpg

TheCurriculum

The anemone has moved back to the top of the rock and not on the rock I proped up .. oh well. Got a small little freebie chunk of mysis from the LFS on the way to work. I was able to get one to sit ontop of him, well see if any munching occurs. For a size reference on how small this bugger is the mysis looks huge. The few floater mysis have already been taken out by the hermits so they should be in a good mood for the rest of the day

I shot a few pics as soon as I turned on the light, you can watch him open up

post-3345-1212947979_thumb.jpg

While I've never been an advocate of killing stuff if you don't know what it is, I think you will rue the day you thought it as so cool. Moving around and some other pics id it as a majano to me. They will cause recession in hard corals and zoanthids and can sting most anything. Peppermints will not eat them nor will any butterflies I've ever tried. Even Joe's Juice isn't 100% effective. They neraly took over my 150, causing lots of destruction. Yes, they started off as just one cute little "mini-bubbletip" or so I thought, then I began to see them everywhere.

Freshwater rinses of corals and rock is somewhat effective, but cutting away rock or skeleton of coral with a pliers is the only fully effective method I've found, and that's a pain in the butt.

Everyone says thee things are bad along with Aiptasia (sp) and I don't disagree...its just that I don't know...It's true some of these things are just plain ugly and so removing them is a no brainer. But, does anyone actually have any pics of an infested tank that shows the damage these guys do? The only pics I have seen are ID pics and they always show the specimens in a neutral, non threatening position.

It would be a lot more convincing, for those of us who just don't know about the damage, if there was some visual evidence of it.

.02 cents

You can go ahead and doubt all you want, but if they ever get a foothold in your tank you won't doubt it then, but it will be too late.

Showing these pictures is embarassing, that I let them get away and didn't do anything when I had the easy chance, and now I've lost corals to them. This poor Mycedium I'd had for 4 years. Fortunately I was able to cut the bastards away on it's skeleton and it's now recovering.

Mycedium.jpg

Note the dead areas around them. I don't know how they get established on live coral tissue, but they did. This is a Heliopora or Blue Ridge Coral

heliopora.jpg

Convinced now?

TheCurriculum

oh I've been reading multiple forums for a few years and can see the damage the buggers can cause... some post where people have had both the bad guys without issue ... total potluck on the not hurting anything.

I'm willing to go through the PITA if it's bady, for the chance of a non-evil bubble hitch hiker. when I went to the LFS earlier today I asked about bubble tips and they have a tank with a bunch in it. This rock was in the tank for a period of time, so based off that I'm now willing to ride it out for a while longer. Once I can id for sure then I'll yank it out if it's a badguy ... if it lands on a coral rock before the ID then there may be an issue, but as long as it's on the current rock I'm ok with it. The clove polyps were a freebie so if I loose one no real harm done.

It was sitting on a clove for a few days and didn't mess with it, but that was during the phase where the fingers appeared. I would assume at that point it could have stung, but that really doesn't mean anything.

TheCurriculum

:o it is still growing, a little bigger each day

Stopped at the LFS to grab a pic of one of the bubble's in the tank, though I couldn't get a shot showing it's mouth. Below that is a shot from the picotope today

post-3345-1213125457_thumb.jpg

post-3345-1213125462_thumb.jpg

I'm not going to reattach the next pics as they are already in this thread ... here are the links

*****PIC 1***** Look at the lines on the body

*****PIC 2***** shide shot showing body lines ...

Archived