Coral Vue Hydros

How do you stop that sucking noise?

Ocho Cinco

Ocho Cinco

I just got my tank and sump set up and I have a drilled hole with a 90 degree elbow and strainer. I can't get it to stop making a loud sucking sound. Is there something I can do?

Ocho Cinco

They way mine is, is not like that. There is just a bulkhed at the top-middle of the tank with a 90 degree elbow and strainer. I think I need a stronger pump. My sump is getting full, so if I get a stronger pump that will put more flow into the display which will cut down on the sound. Is that true?

trinichild

The sucking noise comes from the water draining from the tank into the sump sucking in air on the way down (described as sounding like a toilet flush by a lot of people). The bulkhead you're describing, is that for the water drain from the tank to the sump?

More flow won't make the sucking noise go away. If you look at the diagram in durso thread, replacing the elbow with the pvc T (External durso overflow) will greatly reduce the noise.

Ocho Cinco

Yes, the bulkhead is for the drain from the tank to the sump. So having more water in the tank won't help the sound? The water lever is just a little over the strainer. It seems to me it is taking in air and water. So if I get more water going in won't that cud down on the air going in?

The sucking noise comes from the water draining from the tank into the sump sucking in air on the way down (described as sounding like a toilet flush by a lot of people). The bulkhead you're describing, is that for the water drain from the tank to the sump?

More flow won't make the sucking noise go away. If you look at the diagram in durso thread, replacing the elbow with the pvc T (External durso overflow) will greatly reduce the noise.

You know it could be too little flow. My tank does it when i turn my pump down. Anyway how about a pic of your current setup.

Ocho Cinco

The water is all murkey because I just got it running. I can try and describe it. It is an 80 gallon with a 30 gallon sump/refug. I have one hole drilled in the top center of the tank. That has a 1" bulkhead with a 90 degree elbow and strainer sticking up. On the back of that is a 1" spa tube that goes from teh bulkhead to the sump. In the sump is a mag 12 with plumbing and a 2 way tubing split with 2 hang on back nozzles pushing water back in. The water is like a half inch from the top and I can put more in because the sump is too full.

Ocho Cinco

Can you buy the durso as a single part or is it a DIY?

bluebastion
You should build it yourself. It is real easy.

But I agree with this guy ^.

I have had that problem as well when I first set up my frag tank. My problem was that the elbow I had originally used (90 degree barbed elbow) that was on the inside of the tank, pressure fitted to the bulkhead was too narrow... and restricted the flow for the water to drain. Once I replaced it with a regular elbow, the flow was normal, and no flushing. Hope that helps.

Ocho Cinco
all you need is a PVC T fitting its really easy...

Do you use a PVC T and then put a cap on top of it with holes or something like that? How/what should I do What's the best way?

Ocho Cinco

I got some info from my lfs too and tried it and it works GREAT! I just used a T with a cap and hole on top. No noise at all!!!!

Ocho Cinco
yeah thats how i have mine set up... works well

Yeah amazing. I could hear it from up stairs and now nothing!

Archived