Cultivated Reef

Can't read refractometer!

HankB

There's no line - either with the S/W I'm mixing (currently about 1.020 by hydrometer) DI water or the standard solution.

I used it this morning and it worked fine. I can't imagine how it would go wrong. Except for the focus, there are no moving parts.

omgomgomg Need!

Any suggestions? This is the unit I'm using:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod...fm?pcatid=10490

thanks,

hank

Scott Riemer
There's no line - either with the S/W I'm mixing (currently about 1.020 by hydrometer) DI water or the standard solution.

I used it this morning and it worked fine. I can't imagine how it would go wrong. Except for the focus, there are no moving parts.

omgomgomg Need!

Any suggestions? This is the unit I'm using:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod...fm?pcatid=10490

thanks,

hank

Are you pointing at a light source?

How long did you let it mix before testing? Could be the salt hasn't dissolved yet. Test the display tank and see if it works.

You will get the white level when you use even RO water,Point the light a foot from a lit light bulb :)

I am pointing it at a light.

I have tried it with:

- water I'm mixing (about there by the hydrometer)

- distilled water

- calibration reference fluid.

I've been doing this daily for about two weeks. About 35 years ago I did this for several years to measure urine SG in a hospital lab. So a refractometer is really nothing new to me.

I've never faced this issue. :(

thanks,

hank

Since you were in the urine business and know what's up you should return it to the doctors and get a new one. It's probably a POS. I have the same one and it's doing good. How long have you had it?

Edit: Another thing came to mind. In the instructions it says you'll have to re-calibrate if the temp changes 5 degrees or somewhere around there. There should be a screwdriver and on top behind the shield is a screw and try to calibrate it again turning that screw either way. I can't remember what temperature it says to calibrate it but it should be in the instructions.

The Propagator

Hank, did you drop it?

Some times if you drop them to hard the screw you adjust to calibrate it with will slip or get springy.

Also its possible for the entire assembly to jar loose and slip down inside behind the mirror.

Are you seeing just numbers and no line or nothing at all but blue ?

Come on Hank !!

What happened? What was the end result ?

Sorry for the delay. Guess I wasn't paying attention. ;)

I did not drop it and AFAIK SWMBO didn't either. But I suspect that something may have shifted inside.

I could see the scale, but there was no line.

The good folks at DFS have shipped me a new one and are mailing me a prepaid label to return this one. (Impressive customer support!)

I got the new one yesterday and am no longer squinting at a hydrometer. :D

thanks,

hank

Archived