ReefCleaners.org

what do you think?

RigPie

Ok, I did a little more research what do you think about this setup? 20x12x12 20gallon glass tank, DIY cover w/ 2 50W PC 50/50(w/ mylar for reflection), 500gph external overflow into sump, 500-600gph pump to return water to tank w/ valve for adjustments, 50-100W heater in the sump, protein skimmer in sump, live sand, 20-30lbs live rock. I am still a little unsure as to size of pump, overflow, and heater but that is the basic setup I am thinking about. Any suggestions welcome. Thanks.

Jon

a 500-600 gph pump rating is with 0 head pressure. That means right out of the chute & not pumping upward, and with no elbows. You will most likely have about 4 ft of return line to the tank, and your effective rating would be diminished.

If you use a Mag Drive 5 pump, rated @ 500 gph max, your effective GPH @ 4 ft would be 310, one or two elbows, and you are talking about probably 270 or so. 13.5x tank turnover might blow everything around a bit, but you could put a Y connector on the return outlet to get multi-directional flow, and you should be in pretty decent shape. Line-loc return in the tank would be good, since it has gooseneck adjustability, and you can get a fan return nozzle to spread the flow out.

Check with Lunchbucket about his set up, since he has a similar tank & sump with a SQWD closed-loop and a wicked skimmer (Euro-Reef ES5-2: the same I use on my 65 & love it)

20x12x12 are the dimensions for a standard 10 gallon tank, not a 20 gallon. just an FYI :). A good place to look for DIY pc fixtures which come in 55, not 50, watts is www.ahsupply.com . Their setups come with everything youll need (ballast, sockets, etc) to mount the lights plus a nice reflector. A 2x55 setup costs 64 beans....thats sans bulbs by the way. Still a good deal IMO. By the way, a standard 10 gallon aquarium is too small for 55 watt pc's to fit over without hanging over a bit..... 36 watt bulbs, however, fit just right. HTH. :) :)

actually a 10 gal is 20x10x12, but no big deal..

20H is 24x12x16 and will fit the 55 PC's

Personally, if you are going to do a sump, etc. you may as well for for the 20, or a 20L.

I'm sorry that's a typo it's actually 30x12x12, and I am going to put the sump directly under the tank in the stand so it will only be about 2 1/2ft under the tank, how much would that effect the head pressure? I also meant to say 2X 55W Power Compact 1/2 daylight and 1/2 actinic (2X 55w PC 50/50).

Jon

2.5 feet plus the amount for the tank itself: 3.5 feet. about the same effect, just a little more flow. If you do a dual return, I think that size pump would be fine.

Personally, I would go with one more bulb.

ELGORDOINAVW

you can definetly sqeeze a third light in there. look at some of the member tanks you'll see prime examples

Well if you can squeeze 3 in 10" then I should be able to squeeze 3 in 12". That is probably what I'm gonna do. Thanks for the info.

Jon

Archived