inTank Media Baskets

shroom

Cam barr

hey guys i got my clown and a big red shroom last night the all seem to be doing fine clown is real happy playing and chasing his reflection  on the glass he he my question obout the shroom is its big whell at least for my tank and its kinda hard to find a spot to put it i was wondering if i could glue him with some zap gel i have never glued any thing before and was wondering if i should glue him  i know they attach them selves in about a month to 3 weeks

thanks cam

Is it just floating around the tank now, or what? It should attach by itself if left in one spot without being knocked off by a powerhead or a pesky clown. If you have a specific spot for it, then there's no reason you can't glue it. I'm not positive what zap gel is but I think it's cyanoacrylate, just like superglue. That's what I've used to attach soft coral frags. Just remove the rock and shroom from the tank, dry the rock and the base of the shroom, glue, and stick together. You can put it right back in the tank too.

-Chris

what i did was i took a small rock and i set the shroom on the rock i layed them on the sand and when he attaches ill put the rock back up whare i had it before  yea zap gel is super glue it wont hurt the shroom right i know they can move so will it inhaditint his moving mobility

cam

Here is my patented procedure for attaching shrooms  (developed by me, through trial and error)

Step 1.  Smoosh the shroom into a little hole in the rock

Step 2.  Catch the shroom before it blows away in the current

Step 3. Turn down the powerhead

Step 4.  Smoosh the shroom into a smaller hole and go to bed.

Step 5. Wake up and pull out all your rocks to find the shroom.

Step 6.  Jam the shroom into and even smaller hole.

Repeat as needed.

I did 3 shrooms this way.  Trust me, it works.

I dont know.  I pretty much smashed mine trying to pick the darn things up.  Seriously though, I just tried to poke the base of the shroom into a hole where I thought it would stay for a bit until it gets attached.  I tried to be gentle.  These things are really almost indestructible though.  Look at how they reproduce.  They move along and leave little chunks of themselves.  Even those turn into shrooms eventually.

Sure.

I get a bowl with tank water in it, put the shroom and the rock in it. Go to the kitchen counter (better light) use a paper towel to dry the rock where you are going to glue the shroom. Now comes the tricky part, dry the base of the shroom (hopefully it will have some substrate on it) and put some glue on it (really small pea size)and slap it on the rock. The tricky part is they are real slimey and you have to do it pretty quick. I hold it for about 10 second and put it back in the bowl for a couple of minutes then put it back in the tank and throw the bowl water away.

Archived