Cultivated Reef

Got the refractometer...now what?

handtlkr

Ok...finally got around to ordering one with callibration fluid. The instructions are like a mile long and have more steps than I care to count. Is there an easy/quick way to callibrate this bad boy??

Thanks! :huh:

Hellzbellz
Ok...finally got around to ordering one with callibration fluid. The instructions are like a mile long and have more steps than I care to count. Is there an easy/quick way to callibrate this bad boy??

Thanks! :huh:

I usually just use RO Water..... But, you'll want to adjust it to whatever the calibration fluid says it should be at.... Most of the time you set them to 1.000 and then it's calibrated.

like others said, clean your lens with RO water and dry it. (I've also used tap water to clean it and dont have any discrepencies when comparing the numbers). place the calibration fluid on the lens. If you bought the 53.0mS calibration fluid, that translates to 35 ppt on the scale on the right in the refractometer. the left side is the SG equivalent. adjust the horizontal line to 35 and you're done. clean and dry the lens then test your water. good luck.

Archived