Top Shelf Aquatics

Hello everyone

alexmsw

I have really become interested in starting my own sw nanoreef after finding this website. I have read all the articles on the site (you guys should publish a nano reef book) and lurked the forums enough. I was wondering if people could suggest some good books to read about the basics of water quality, coral feeding, etc. (Complete Newbie here :unsure: ). I'm definatley a few months off before starting my own tank (probably late sept.) but I want to get as much info as possible. Also i live in the Northern Virginia/DC area and was wondering if anyone knew of any local clubs and good LFS. Well that's it for now, I am sure I will have tons of questions as the weeks go on.

I have to agree with clamkeeper, as I have this book myself and still refer to it from time to time. Excellent for beginners as well as advanced hobbiest!! This book will run you some were around $25.00.

• 3 weeks later...

alexmsw - Just seen this thread, I live in Woodbridge as well. I was working in Reston and got hooked on Marine Scene for my LFS. There are others around and I need to start looking again as well. I hear there is a decent one in Burke. Anyway good luck with the tank.

Yeah I went to marine scene and the people were really nice. I will probably get some livestock from there after I buy everything, still saving :( . Let me know if you find anything.

The one in Burke is not worth the drive (Reef Tank I think it's called), went there once, won''t go back. Poor livestock selections and the tanks are in deplorable condition. Marine Scene is the way to go. Extrememly knowledgeable staff and very helpful. I'm up there once a week for water and to check out thier newest corals. Alex they have a small selection of books availble there, you could check that out as well. I recommend Eric Borneman's Aquarium Corals if you plan on keeping corals, and Tullock's book is called The Natural Reef Aquarium, just picked that up. Great book.

http://www.wamas.org/ Frag workshop in October, should be great!

HTH!

Wally's Aquariums off rt 236 in Annandale has been great to me lately. Close and convenient is a plus too.

SuperPetz in Annandale I don't reccomend. They often have a big selection of fish, but the help is sporadic and sometimes grouchy.

PetCo in Alexandria is...well...PetCo.

Maybe that helps.

Yeah I bought and read the fenner book and was thinking about a good coral book because I want to make a 20L LPS tank. I might just have to make the drive and go to that meeting. Figure I will get psyched enough, forget saving, and break out the credit card:P

Cajastan, if you aren't running by now when you see me post, you mind answering a question? :)

I'm looking at the frag workshop and am getting interested.

I've never been to one before, so is it what I expect? A guest lecture, social time, maybe some coral exchanges. I've been to plenty of biotech/science workshop/seminars, so what I have in mind may not be accurate.

I'm a bigger geek than you might expect.

This'll be my first time to a WAMAS event. I know Brooklyn Johhny has attended before, so you may want to pm him and ask him about it. The days events are also listed on the web page.

I like the Reef Tank at Burke. They were very helpful in my education in the hobby. I was there for 2 hours talking to Grim about my newb questions. They specialize in mostly corals.

Marine Scene is also a good place. I get my RO/DI fresh/salt mix there. I enjoy that place a lot around lunch time since it's close to work.

Join up wamas. You can get discount on both LFS on their livestock for being a member. I plan on going to the frag workshop too and this will be my first meet.

Archived