Top Shelf Aquatics

R/O system?

j0dy77

Are there any specifications I need to look for when buying an R/O system? I notice that some seem to be made for Aquariums while some are for home drinking water. What is the difference?

I see a lot of aquarium R/O systems talking about THC Membrane removal??? So a basic system home drinking water will remove this as well?

It's all very confusing.

TFC and CTA are two different membranes with slightly different applications and efficiencies. CTA is used only on chlorinated water sources (because of bacterial breakdown of the membrane). TFC membranes are prone to attack by chlorine so source water is prefiltered with carbon usually. like crakeur said more stages typically remove more particles and cost more. some models handle more gallons/day. speaking simplistically TFC also produces a more pure water (higher rejection rate-the principle being that only pure water passes thru the membrane-just think of it as a filter). HTH!

tg

RO/DI systems piggyback a deionizing resin downstream of the RO membrane such that an even more pure water is obtained (RO water is "refiltered"). RO alone is quite sufficient for most reefers purposes. unless you're battling a major algae issue or attempting to emulate lab sterile conditions and control of your system it may be an extravagence.

tg

To add to Twinguys and Crakeur, there was a discussion on RC about ammonia out of some units if your tap water is treated by Chloramine. One vendor handles it by more carbon up front, another by doubling up on the DI cartridges.

As stated above after chosing the membrane you want, there are only a few types of filters with the common ones being sediment, carbon and DI. If you can find out if your water is treated with Chloramine, what the TDS reading of your tap water is, it will help you decide what to buy and what bells and whistles you do or don't need.

Just make sure to get a TDS meter when you get the package you decide on. It will help you determine when to change filters.

I just went through the same decision process. Yet to be seen if I guessed right. I went with a system from Air Water and Ice. Lots of vendors out there.

Don't mean this to sound like an advertisement, but the guy at Air Water and Ice says they are coming out with a small RO system. Its for those with smaller tanks and don't need as much water as the higher GPD systems. Its called the Mighty Might. Supposed to cost $69. I don't know the specs yet but somthing worth considering if you want to keep the costs down.

thanks for the headups greywolf, that sounds like a good deal-so yeah i still don't have an RO myself but i promise my info was on key!

tg

Archived