Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

reef safe paint?

bailmonee

What paint is safe for use inside of tanks?

I'm new to marine/reef tanks, but I am learning fast. So after visiting countless reef sites and having just finished reading my first reef book, I was planning on buying a glass 20g long and sectioning off a part or two to use as a sump/refuge using acrylic(easier to work with). Then the actual reef portion would be between 12-15 gallons. Hopefully this will make it cheaper to stock and to light, yet making it more stable, easier to service, quiter(no noisy overflow pipe)and provide a safe haven for various critters and to grow plankton?. Then all the "mechanicals" would be hidden in the sump/refuge area (with the exception of one powerhead). So I will need to paint parts of the tank(inside, outside , on the acrylic)what would be a safe paint to use?

Why not paint the outside of the glass? Then you really don't need to worry about anything that is "reef safe". I just went to Lowes where I work at and I got a small can of Midnight Blue paint. Go to www.missouri.edu/~getc51 and look under the 16 gallon nano to see how it looks.

Eddie

I asked if I could spray paint my overflow and the guy at WetDryFilter.com said he has done this to a couple of his tanks with no ill effects. Ya might want to give him an email about it for more details though, like what kind of spray paint, etc. HTH

JC

:)

I dont think any paint is good for the inside of a tank, now if this has been done with "no ill effect" then more power to that person. My hat is off to them, but I wouldn't feel comfortable painting the inside of my tank.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived