Pod Your Reef

What subtrate

Kingpin

What subtrate do you guys use?

i was thinking to use some of my african cichlid(FW) subtrate that is Seaflor special Grade Reef Sand that is full of FW bacteria. the FW bacteria will die for my LS and LR to feed off of.

will this work?

i also want to but something on top of this substrate and dont know what.

i think ill go for 1" of the seaflor reef sand and 1" of something else. if the "something else" isnt live sand i will seed it with live sand.

so... What subtrate do you guys use?

well, i went ahead anyway and put 10 lbs of LS on top of 1" of the seaflor reef sand.

so far in my live sand i found 1-1centimeter long starfish; 3 red worms(need an ID on them); and a plant of macro i think, the ones used in fuges.

i got VERY excited when i saw a starfish,i was like hell ya i didnt have to pay for it.(maybe i did LS was $9.59 a pound)

what other things should i be looking for?

OMG... $9.59 a pound! does it have gold in it:)

There might be some other detritavores like, hermit crabs, sea cucumbers, worms and other tiny starfish.

Or I should say, there better be for almost ten bucks a pound, Right.

I use dead sand, but I have other aquariums to seed it with so I can make it live.

i wouldnt pay 10 buck a lb either that like getting robbed.

i meant $5.59. is that a reasonable price? for 10lbs i gave $60 bucks and got back change. for me it costed $60 i hate change.

what all do they look like. ex-specially the sea cucumber. what is red the bittle worms?

a brittle worm is a skinny little, well worm. It has a bunch of tiny legs, its red...you get the picture.

I had one with my live sand, I took it out. I am not a fan of worms

TheDogofWar
Originally posted by surfy

I use dead sand, but I have other aquariums to seed it with so I  can make it live.

What type of sand do you use?

Archived