ReefCleaners.org

Green Star polyp

Nishant3789

Nishant3789

hey yall,

what are the requirements of these corals? i really like them it hink i am going to get one sooner or later. how much should they be? who should i feed them? and how often. thanks

nishant

This is one of my top 5 picks for aesthetics and ease of care. It will tolerate a wide range of lighting (I suggest mid range) and is a fast grower. Fragging the coral is relatively easy too. I don't know "who" it should eat, but I have some potential offereings for you if you can get one to eat people :)  Actually they will benefit from a weekly/biweekly targeted snack of any popular planktonic feeds, such as Kent Micro-Vert. I'll tell you a little secret on getting the most growth out of them. Put them in a minimal/gentle current. They will tolerate a hurricane if necessarry, but the arms of the polyps won't grow if you do this. Keep it out of a brisk current and you will have a bright green afro in your tank in no time! The only thing that you will need to do is blow the detritus buildup off the colony (before it opens) every week or so with a baster.

i have been keeping gsp's for a while now and feed them dt'd pytoplankton they seem to flurish with this additive i if you dont bhave the right current on them they can get a algea build up which can smother them out.They are so easy to propagate also great coral..

• 2 weeks later...

Iodine is an essential additive as it a liquid BIO AVAILABLE calcium suplement. I have found direct squirts to them with a glutinate calcium (SEACHEM makes a good one) has a noticable differance. Also it seems that they will eat decapsulated Brine shrimp eggs (you will have to turn off water curents, or else the food will float away, and soak them in ZOECON first).

I agree about the algae problems they have espicaly with cyano algaes, AND keep them away from Mushrooms, they will get the heck stung out of them and by aiptasia. I had one aiptasia wipe out a nice lawn.

• 3 weeks later...

i've actually had better success with putting them in swift current.  they seem to spread easier and they are growing faster.  i only add essential elements and calcium buffer, and micro vert every now and then.  

• 4 weeks later...

Hey byrself, you might want to try spelling arguing right with a signature like that. I don't mean to be a jerk but I have a friend whose sister has Down Syndrome and I don't appreciate seeing stuff like that.

Quote: from SBGRAD24 on 2:00 am on June 4, 2002[br]Hey byrself, you might want to try spelling arguing right with a signature like that. I don't mean to be a jerk but I have a friend whose sister has Down Syndrome and I don't appreciate seeing stuff like that.

sorry, didn't mean to offend.  i just read that before on another post and thought it was kinda funny.  i have a cousin who's handicapped and he thought it was funny.  i'll change it though.  =)

• 2 weeks later...

I just got some GSP from the LFS and they are slow to come out, i have not been around them much. but when the lights are off do they normally hide? thanks darian

yes, they close up with the lights off.  they take a while at first to fully come out also.  this is normal =)

I bought some green star polyps about 4-5 weeks ago and they still have't opened(with the exeption of 2 polyps). I think they're dead. =(

That's weird... mine opened up the next morning when I bought it. It's the easiest coral to care for for me cause I don't really do anything for them.

Archived