Top Shelf Aquatics

Best RO Unit

EasyEd77

I think I am going to step it up and start making my own RO water. What do you think the best brand or model is?

filefish949

the spectrapure select 75gpd membrane is the best for most hobbi aplicatiosn. the spectrapure select line of membranes are the best.

befor you buy a system you need to know a few things, here is a start:

TDS of tap water?

pressure of tap water?

chloramines in tap water?

the spectrapure select 75gpd membrane is the best for most hobbi aplicatiosn. the spectrapure select line of membranes are the best.

TDS of tap water?

pressure of tap water?

Hmm. I move around every year or two. Any recommendations for my situation? I know you can take these units with you but would I have problems from different water quality?

if your TDS is like 750-1000+ i would say you might have some problems other than that the water general unit is the best bang for your buck. Ya it's membrane is maybe not filmtech or anything but it works just fine.

filefish949

your biggest problem is water pressure, RO units do not work well with source pressure under 60 PSI

I would reccomend calling Rus at buckeye and designing a system, he spent a lot of time with me setting mine up

TDS of tap water?

pressure of tap water?

Fortunately I live in the SF Bay Area and my water company is the best around. I just tested the TDS of my tap water and it was 42ppm. My house I have the pressure set to the max, so water pressure will not be a problem.

Fortunately I live in the SF Bay Area and my water company is the best around. I just tested the TDS of my tap water and it was 42ppm. My house I have the pressure set to the max, so water pressure will not be a problem.

Thanks for the help everyone. I guess I should get a TDS tester and pressure tester before I think about getting an RO/DI unit.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a question regarding the unit that wastes the least amount of water too. This is my be deterent right now. I am not willing to waste the large amounts of water necessary to use my own RO unit.

I have a question regarding the unit that wastes the least amount of water too. This is my be deterent right now. I am not willing to waste the large amounts of water necessary to use my own RO unit.

where do u buy ur water now? what kind do u use?

filefish949

42 is great, have you tested your water pressure? that is a big deal

where do u buy ur water now? what kind do u use?

Mostly I buy it from a local store and it premixed ro/di I believe. Occasionally I use tap allowed to "breathe" for 24hrs when I am unable to get to the store. I realize that they are wasting water in creating it, but I would hope to create it in my home wasting the least amount possible (preferably none).

yea the store wastes the water too. the only good thing is u know the tds and that the water is ok by making it urself. it real doesnt raise the water bill much maybe 5$. im pretty sure spectra pure makes a rodi that wastes little or no water but i want to say it around 700$.

You could always get creative and use the waste water. I set up my unit next to my garden and I put the waste water line right in my garden so the plants use it. You could always save it for watering plants in the house - washing the car - whatever. I bet you have something you could use it for.

Archived