ReefCleaners.org

JBJ 28g owners: return pumps and wavemaker?

peasey

I hope you guys have some input here. I bought a JBJ 28g HQI tank used a few months ago and the first thing that I did was I replaced the stock pumps with MJ1200s. One of the stockers had a rusted and corroded impeller shaft and the other wasn't far behind. I had originally had both returns set to come on the same time, but I was dinkin' around last night and set them up as a wavemaker to oscillate every 90sec. Now the tank only has one on at a time with a Koralia Nano kicking in every so often. The flow is slower through the sump and there's less noise, but I just want to make sure that I have sufficient turnover.

Is a single MJ1200 enough constant flow or do I need to keep both returns going and rely on powerheads for my wavemaking?

Thats how I have mine running but with the stock pumps. Ive found that one running at a time on the wave maker and one koralia #1 running constantly, I get really good flow. And the turnover is fine i think. Everything is very happy and healthy at 4 months now!

Archived