Innovative Marine Aquariums

CA and Alk out of whack

Psychojam

OK, What do you guys make of this.

I have a BioCube 14 that about a year old. Some Zoas, mushrooms, Xenia, Torch, Open brain, and an Acan.

I normally dose Kent Nano Reef 2 part solution, 1tsp of part 1, a little less than a teaspoon of part 2. This has worked for me for a while. A few weeks ago I was out of town for 6 days, and my wife took care of my tank. She misunderstood me and was using a Tablespoon instead of a teaspoon. I checked the parameters right away, and was surprised to see that they were fine (CA 390, Alk 9.6).

I went back to my regular teaspoon dosing. Now, 3 weeks later, I check the params, and they're off (Ca 330, alk 12.6, pH 8.4)

What gives?

Thanks,

James

Low Mg will DEFINITELY play a role as it helps keep Ca in solution. You REALLLY need to bump that up to about 1350. Keep an eye on your salinity however because it's going to take A LOT of Mg supplement.

masterbuilder

Not knowing anything about your aquarium....its seems by your post that your wife knows what she is doing. Take a clue?

What I would do.... Do a couple of good sized water changes without dosing over thew course of 2 or 3 days. Check the levels and dose whatever it takes to get things where you want them. Now test for 3 days without dosing. Bring the levels back up to where you need. Now you have what is required to keep them there. A simple math problem.

I would also suggest trying a different additive than the Kent Nano-Reef. I have used it and was quite disappointed. ESV or C-Balance is my choice.

Maybe this will help too. http://reef.diesyst.com/flashcalc/flashcalc.html

Archived