Cultivated Reef

Homicidal hermit

Satchmo

Hey all.  Yesterday I added a small red-leg hermit to my 10g that houses a blue-leg and an ocellaris (sp?) clown.  He seemed fine, and started grazing immediately after adding him.  This morning, I woke to find little pieces of the dead red-leg and the blue-leg wasb proudly marching around in its former shell.  Funny thing is... the blue-leg had switched back to his old shell by the time I left for work.  I guess he didn't like it.  I have a few other shells in there, but I think they're a bit large and I'll have to get some smaller ones.  So you think the blue-leg did him in?  I checked water params, and nothing had changed.  

Guest AbSoluTc

You answered your own question.

I have a few other shells in there, but I think they're a bit large and I'll have to get some smaller ones.

=

This morning, I woke to find little pieces of the dead red-leg and the blue-leg wasb proudly marching around in its former shell.

i woke up one day and thought my red leg hermit was dead.  turns out he just molted  :)  but if your blue leg was in his shell then he probably got 187'd  id call the local authorities and file a report :)

Quote: from Dave ESPI on 12:54 pm on June 27, 2002[br]was it a crawl-by shelling?

Bloods and Kryps in da reef houze BIZZACH !

LOL, Oh my god that was funny! Stupid, but funny!!! :lol:

Just my 2 cents... Kind of a sad situation, but...

When I first setup my nano, I had found that I had a crab in the LR from the LFS. Well, after watching this guy for a few days, he seemed kinda aggresive. Worried about him attacking other tank dudes, I decided to see if I should pull him out.

Well, one day, he was acting pretty feisty towards one of the hermits. Snapping at it and what not. So, no problem, separated them and decided to watch it some more before removing the crab from the tank.

Well, next morning, I saw him chomping on the remains of a hermit. A quick count in the tank revealed I saw missing/couldn't find 1 hermit. Or so I thought. Well, decided to yank him out of the tank, and more on.

Come to find out, he didn't eat the hermit, as I still have all of them today, but he was playing with what was left after the hermit molted. :(

Poor, little guy got yanked for nothing. Hmmm. Live and learn I guess.

BTW, I have another crab that just appeared in the tank last week, and he is staying until I know for sure, he is a problem. :)

:) cool, i thought you flush him (it would be sad).

I sort of the same situateion... I got few new red leg hermits and some unknown (sort of brownish color), put the unknown hermits in my main tank to live with blue legs... the rest go to my ref' tank

after about a month, i move one of my red-legs to my main tank, next morning, I saw what used to be red-legs... and blue leg is in his old shell (but he decide to keep)

but after look around, turn out my red-legs has move to bigger shell and molt.. :) and blue-leg take over his shell..

Archived