inTank Media Baskets

Live Rock

dreamweaver_gcotb

dreamweaver_gcotb

Woohoo!!!!! I got my live rock! Yesterday I went to Triton Marine (www.liverocks.com) and bought one VERY beautiful 17 pound piece of LR. It is absolutely gorgeous!! It's encrusted with purple, pink and red coralline, sponges, feather worms, encrusting corals, spiney oysters and tons of other little delights. We had at least a dozen little crabs hitchhiking as well as snails and even a fish! I'm thinking its a Blenny of some kind but I'm still working on an ID. I'm going to go back soon and buy some smaller pieces of rock to put on the sand around it.

Curse you people who live near things like this. Keep an eye on those crabs. Gulf crabs is mean crabs.

And of course, congrats on getting some cool rock. :)

I drove over there last weekend from jacksonville to stock my new nano up, Mike's got some sweet looking rock. Do have a 2 inch reddish-orange crab I'm gonna have to find a way to yank though, looks mean!

I got crabs from them too. I received this with my shipment. I know there is more. One dropped in the tank as I lowered the live rock. I Don't know what I will do with all the crabs(or how I will catch them). Does this look like your red crab? There is also a smaller lighter colored one in front of it.

crab.jpg

dreamweaver_gcotb

I have several of these in my rock too. I've been watching them closely and so far the only things I've seen them eat is algae and detritus.

That's him, yeah, all I've seen them do is scavenge, but what'll happen when I put a tasty little goby in there? I'd rather pull 'em now than try to root them out of a tank full of corals.

dreamweaver_gcotb

I'm not totally sure it would be a problem for you. We actually had a small blenny come in on our rock. He was hiding in all the caves inside the piece. But I haven't seen the crabs show the slightest interest in him. However, the majority of the crabs in our rock or tiny but there was one about the size of a nickel.

Barb- maybe you can post that picture in the Invertebrate forum and we can get an ID on him, I've looked through my books and online some and can't find a match. I'd like to leave them in but if they grow big I'd rather take him to the LFS.

dreamweaver_gcotb

I agree! If they are bad guys now or when they grow up, I'd like to get the little beasties out now before they get big enough to hurt me when I try to get them out.

SteveC- these are actually Florida Keys crabs, he doesn't have any Gulf Coast rock now, just the Keys aquacultured.

I saw one this morning on top of the rock that was a little stockier than the one in the photo. He moved before I could get a picture. Last night I threw in a little piece of abductor from a steamer clam. He had it clutched in his claw and was eating it. He was about the size of a nickel or slightly bigger.

dreamweaver_gcotb

Definitely post the pics to the invertebrates forum. You might also post it to reef central's forum. I'd really like to know more about these little guys.

Archived