Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

suggestions on corals for newbie?

mikestod

Starting my first nano. Tank is cycling now. I will eventually move much or all of my mini FOWLR inhabitants to this tank. I'd like to eventually get the most varied selection of corals I can get, so I'm going for good lighting right away. I need all the advice I can get on what corals to get, where to get small frags for the most diversity (yet good compatibility), where & how to place them (amount of current, proximity to light, etc), and water parameters/additives for a nano. Also, to dose w/kalk?, and the best way to do so. I'll take all the advice I can get, and do any research. I'm in no rush.

New Tank is cycling:

10 gal w/ home built hood

15 lbs live sand

12 lbs live rock

2-13W PC flourescent w/10k&blue combo lamps (possibly just blue actinic in the future depending on final light color from MH)

~adding 175W Metal Halide in next week

tetra-tec 150 HOB filter w/internal heater

aquaglobe 100gph mini-powerhead

Curently have:

5 gal Eclipse bowfront FOWLR (no mods)

8 lbs crushed coral

8 lbs live rock

1 clarki clown

1 fire fish gobi

1 feather duster

1 turbo snail

2 astrea snails

1 red legged hermit

1 emerald crab

1 maroon serpent starfish

Your best to start off with mushrooms and zooanthids(button polyps). They require less light and are hardy. Thats what I started with. If your in the Boston area I could suggest a few places with good coral selections.

"most varied selection of corals"--That statement scares me...because 'most varied' likely means corals from different reef environments and those requiring very different things. Focus on corals from one reef "zone"...you'll have much more success. You just can't provide for a large diversity of coral species under ANY captive conditions in one tank, especially a nano.

• 4 weeks later...

Check out these:

Exotic Marine Fish Wholesalers

65 Hancock St

Everett, MA 02149

617-389-7258

Boston Tropical

243 Monsignor O'Brien Hwy

Cambridge, MA

617-623-4244

And my favorite!!!

Skipton Pet Center

70 Southhampton St

Boston, MA

1800-pet-menu

Originally posted by Deimos

You just can't provide for a large diversity of coral species under ANY captive conditions in one tank, especially a nano.

Uh-oh. I am sooooo screwed then. :P

my research and views of other nano tanks display a pretty diverse selection of corals amongst them it seems to me that you don't have to have a tank full of drab shrooms and finger leathers, that as long as you have the right equipment, patience, and do your homework, you can have a great looking nano with various species or corals. am i correct?????

that being said...I'm going to attemt to attach a pic of my setup, it is done cycling and has been aquascaped with live rock. The people that I ordered my 175w 10k MH messed up and sent me a 20k instead, but I tried it and am pleased with the color it puts out, so i have skipped my PC actinic supplementation for now. I hope others might get some inspiration from my pics and maybe suggest some corals that would look great under that color light and maybe suggest placement of and suggested corals. there are some shaded and/or cave area suitible for lower light requirements as well

Archived