Top Shelf Aquatics

Ok - My Last Chiller Question

Fade2White12

Fade2White12

I have my new Current 1/15HP chiller installed and ready to go. It was cold yesterday so I haven't been able to see it in action, other than it turning on my heater for me.

Anyway, I have two questions:

1.) To set the temp differential, you are supposed to hold the Set button for 10 seconds until "d" comes up on the screen. While I was able to do this, another setting popped up first, coming up with the letters "CA." It was default on 0, but it looks like I can set it at -4 all the way to +4. What is this?

2.) Does the temp controller that's inside the chiller ever need to be calibrated? I ask this because I have one of those cheap Coralife digital thermometers, and while the chiller says the temp is at 79, the thermometer says it is 77. I plan on double checking with a mercury thermometer, but I don't have one right now. I wonder if that's what the "CA" is about? Calibrating the difference in temp?

Thanks guys.

1. This is the temperature calibration. It allows you to enter an "offset" by which all measured values will be adjusted. Use this if you find the chiller's internal thermostat to be inaccurate when tested against a good thermometer.

2. See #1.

Fade2White12

Ok thanks. So if I find that my thermometer is correct at 77 when the chiller says its 79, would I set it to +2 or -2?

Ok thanks. So if I find that my thermometer is correct at 77 when the chiller says its 79, would I set it to +2 or -2?

Set the offset to -2 if such is the case. Double check that, though. It is always a good idea to have a high-quality alcohol or mercury (careful with these) thermometer to set your digital devices with. Old-school liquid-based thermometers are still the most accurate way to go. Regardless, if you are 2 degrees off, you aren't going to kill anything, so I think you should be fine.

Archived