Pod Your Reef

what is the diffrence

Mr.zissou

First off one is a retro kit and the other is a fixture! The fixture has two bulbs and a complete housing! How are these two even remotely the same? Other than they are both t5s?

First off one is a retro kit and the other is a fixture! The fixture has two bulbs and a complete housing! How are these two even remotely the same? Other than they are both t5s?

Yeah, but how come the fixture, ready to go and with TWO BULBS, is $58 LESS than the single-bulb retrofit?

ok i realize that that was in my topic when i posted look up

i know that hey are retro fits and the other is a fixture but they are the same amount of wattage and same bulb am i right

that could be it but i still think i would rather buy the same exact thing with a fixture ready to go for 50 bucks cheaper am i wrong i mean the ballast between the 2 have very little diffrence if any at all

circusordie16

the difference is that the more expensive retrofit includes individual reflectors which are what make T5 lighting so good. the fixture just has one reflector so you lose a lot of light that way. the retrofit will supply much more light although depending on your tank depth and what you want to keep it might not matter that much.

i see that you are doing some sps in your tank how are they doing with the t5s

do you know if i could use either fixture with sps in a six gallon tank

circusordie16

theyre doing very nicely with the T5s, i actually have the exact retrofit you linked to above. if your tank has similar dimensions to mine (pretty shallow) then id say some sps would be fine, definitely montiporas and maybe a couple acros, as long as your other parameters are in check.

well iam ordering one of the lights by the end of the night but one question couldnt i just take apart the fixture and buy reflectors fo it

also my tank is going to be same dimesions as yours just a little taller by 2 inches 24x8x9

iam going to order the glass asap but iam going to connect it to my 120 gallon so i dont have to put any filters or heaters on because intially it will be running of the same system. iam also going to make this a tiny frag tank also like yours but iam going to hang mine on the wall i will send you pics once i start i was also thinking about putting starphire glass on the front panel

Archived