Innovative Marine Aquariums

detergent in my reef, help

crazydante23

crazydante23

Well, Someone washed my filter socks with detergent and now I have it in my tank. I see soapy suds in my skimmer and sump. What should I do? I cant do water changes because I have none at this time, tomorrow I can get some. Is there any thing else I can do, How bad is this situation. This is my 90 gallon tank. Should I leave the skimmer on?

I happen to have a fully functional 40 gallon setup in my livingroom. All it has is livesand and water at temp. It doesnt have lights. Should I transfer all my coral and fish into it? Thanks T

Well, Someone washed my filter socks with detergent and now I have it in my tank. I see soapy suds in my skimmer and sump. What should I do? I cant do water changes because I have none at this time, tomorrow I can get some. Is there any thing else I can do, How bad is this situation. This is my 90 gallon tank. Should I leave the skimmer on?

I happen to have a fully functional 40 gallon setup in my livingroom. All it has is livesand and water at temp. It doesnt have lights. Should I transfer all my coral and fish into it? Thanks T

Add some activated carbon to the System ASAP

I would def do a waterchange... if you not it is pretty much inevitable that you will lose a lot of your stuff especially if you are going to be waiting over 24hrs to do a waterchange... you probably need to do at least a 20% change.

I would def do a waterchange... if you not it is pretty much inevitable that you will lose a lot of your stuff especially if you are going to be waiting over 24hrs to do a waterchange... you probably need to do at least a 20% change.

why not do a water change with the water from your 40 gallon?

crazydante23

Update, I added a ton of carbon asap. Last night I babysat the skimmer for an hour, Until all the suds got skimmed. This morning everything looked normal and eating well. What a scare. I use these really thick skimmer socks so Im guessing some detergent remained in it. Im gonna head out soon to pick up 40 gallons of scripps nsw. Im gonna do a 20g waterchange and keep the other 20g for emergencys. Thanks guys for the feedback.

I have 14 of these socks that got washed with detergent, should I toss them or can I wash them again to clean the soaps of them?

filefish949
I have 14 of these socks that got washed with detergent, should I toss them or can I wash them again to clean the soaps of them?

no, you should give them to me for extensive testing. i wash mine the same way. I just use bleach only and a 2nd rince cycle.

watch for alage blooms, detergents tends to have a lot of Po4 in it

Archived