SaltCritters.com

Best Skimmer for a 20

Byron

Hey all,

I have been browsing these forums for a long time now and decided to make my first post here because i really need help with something that I don't know anything about. I am building my fist saltwater tank after years of freshwater experience. I just drilled a 20 gallon H with a 10 gallon sump. What I am curious about is how necessary is a protein skimmer in this small of a setup. I have read in countless threads that smaller tanks can rely on weekly water changes only. I just don't want to take up too much room in my small sump.

Questions:

1) Do I need a skimmer in this setup. ( ok ok i know i don't NEED one, but would you recommend one)

2) What skimmer model is best for this size of a setup in a 10 gallon sump.

FyrFighter2004

IMO needing a skimmer in that setup will depend on what you want to keep. However, I think its never a bad thing. A tunze 9002 would do well. I love mine.

I run 3 HOB filters on my 20H, 2 for surface flow and 1 with LR and Chaeto set up as a refugium with a 9w PC fixture. I have found that with a small bio load (clown and yellow watchman) you are able to get away without using a skimmer.

IMO needing a skimmer in that setup will depend on what you want to keep. However, I think its never a bad thing. A tunze 9002 would do well. I love mine.

Did the AquaC nano's release yet?

It's funny you guys recommend these two, they are 2 of about 4 nanos I have been looking at. I am torn between these two. Which one should i go with? They both have good reviews at Marine Depot.

I run 3 HOB filters on my 20H, 2 for surface flow and 1 with LR and Chaeto set up as a refugium with a 9w PC fixture. I have found that with a small bio load (clown and yellow watchman) you are able to get away without using a skimmer.

I am going to put a refugium chamber in my sump as well, but i thought it wont hurt to add a skimmer since i have the space for a it under the display.

I just ordered a Tunze 9002 from Aquarium Specialties, I think you may be able to get free shipping on that, but you'll need to ask them to verify. There link is listed below, I just placed my order with them for the Tunze 9002. I went with the Tunze because of the reviews listed on this site and others. It's quiet and efficient, that's what I was looking for!

hope that helps!

scott

Archived