Cultivated Reef

my water keeps turning green! PLEASE HELP!

nanoreefnate

nanoreefnate

ok...so...about 2 months ago...i had a bout with ick and i lost about 8 fish. well while i was treating my tank the water got greener and greener because i didnt have my filters on. so the ick went away and i did a 50 percent waterchange...the wate cleared up a little but it was still green.then i had a green slime algea problem because i got a new metal halide light and my brother did something to screw up ether the bulb's spectrum or something to the ballast....within the first hour i had it!!!!! anyways...i switched out the bulbs and got a protien skimmer and now the aglea isnt on the glass...its free floating...i know this because the skimmate in my skimmer turns from green to dark brown whereas it usually stays on the greener side...well i have now maade 2 full waterchanges within that last two weeks and now...after changing the water...all of it..yesterday...its turning green yet again....my lights are onl on for 6 hrs...and i didnt feed them...i have carbon in it and a protien skimmer working 24/7.....so...does andone have any idea for what is happening to my tank??? i personally think it is phytoplankton but...thats just me...

i personally think it is phytoplankton but...thats just me...

Yeah, by definition.

Have you done any tests for PO4 or NO3? I mean for both your tank and your changewater. Do you have any other livestock in there?

Have you tried brute forcing it out of the water via a cannister packed with filterfloss ?

nanoreefnate
Yeah, by definition.

Have you done any tests for PO4 or NO3? I mean for both your tank and your changewater. Do you have any other livestock in there?

Have you tried brute forcing it out of the water via a cannister packed with filterfloss ?

i havent tested anything...and no...i haven dont the canister way....what i have is a 46g with a pair of clowns a lubbock wrasse and a fiji blue damsel...there are also zoos favia an anenome and a maxima clam

Well, the clam probably loves the plankton.

Sounds like you have a problem of excess nutrients. You should test your tank water, your changewater and your topoff water for the presence of nitrate (NO3) and phosphate (PO4).

If the nutrients aren't coming in with your water then you have a feeding problem.

In the meantime, you can jam a filter (and filter) with filter floss (polyester pillow stuffing, available in the fabric/craft section at walmart) to clear the water up. You could also use a filter equipped with a micron filter or one that uses diatomaceous earth. Some people use UV sterilizers to clear up greenwater but these only masks the symptoms of the real problem.

You need to figure out what nutrients are the problem and where they are coming from.

nanoreefnate
Well, the clam probably loves the plankton.

Sounds like you have a problem of excess nutrients. You should test your tank water, your changewater and your topoff water for the presence of nitrate (NO3) and phosphate (PO4).

If the nutrients aren't coming in with your water then you have a feeding problem.

In the meantime, you can jam a filter (and filter) with filter floss (polyester pillow stuffing, available in the fabric/craft section at walmart) to clear the water up. You could also use a filter equipped with a micron filter or one that uses diatomaceous earth. Some people use UV sterilizers to clear up greenwater but these only masks the symptoms of the real problem.

You need to figure out what nutrients are the problem and where they are coming from.

well...i just tested phos and nitrate...both are zero...this is so streesfull....my dad keeps telling me it the light but i only have it on for 6 hrs!!!ugh///hes so annoying sometimes...

oh yea...i only feed them 2 little shrimp yesterday... and it was clear yesterday....

You can cut the light back all you want but you wouldn't be having the problem if the nutrients weren't there to grow on.

You can try a blackout while running your skimmer and a filter floss packed filter and that may knock them back but it'll only be a temporary solution. Do you have any macroalgae? Have your tried a phosphate absorbing media?

Since you are seeing greens, I bet it is a PO4 problem. Have you tested your change and topoff water?

nanoreefnate
You can cut the light back all you want but you wouldn't be having the problem if the nutrients weren't there to grow on.

You can try a blackout while running your skimmer and a filter floss packed filter and that may knock them back but it'll only be a temporary solution. Do you have any macroalgae? Have your tried a phosphate absorbing media?

Since you are seeing greens, I bet it is a PO4 problem. Have you tested your change and topoff water?

yea i just did...oppm.......i have seachems purigen and matrix carbont in there with regular carbon from regent and i have a 2 handfull clump of cheato in there...

I either don't buy the test results or your record of feedings. Have someone else (like an LFS) test your waters with different kits.

The nutrients (probably mostly PO4) are coming from somewhere.

I agree, you can't have algae bloom without nutrients. Also, even if you test and it comes back zero, you could have bad test kits, or the algae is just growing so fast it's using up the nutrients before they get to testable levels (especially with a phyto bloom).

nanoreefnate
I agree, you can't have algae bloom without nutrients. Also, even if you test and it comes back zero, you could have bad test kits, or the algae is just growing so fast it's using up the nutrients before they get to testable levels (especially with a phyto bloom).

so i should test my water at the lfs....and if the results are zero...what sould i do....i havent feed them much....and even when the bloom started 2 months ago...i did feed them a lot

so i should test my water at the lfs....and if the results are zero...what sould i do....i havent feed them much....and even when the bloom started 2 months ago...i did feed them a lot

I

what is your temp in your tank also is your tank near any sunlight? Did you treat your tank for the ich if so what did you use? Nitrates and phosphate problems generally cause green water but it will get better with water changes and your skimmer

nanoreefnate
what is your temp in your tank also is your tank near any sunlight

temp ranges from 76-79 and when my fans fall off up to 83....but i keep the fans taped down....and no its not near sunlight...

What is your water source? Sand & rock new or from established tank? If it was from a tank, how clean was this tank?

temp ranges from 76-79 and when my fans fall off up to 83....but i keep the fans taped down....and no its not near sunlight...

Hi Nate

Not sure about the tests but generally green water means nitrates and phosphate problems. Probably more nitrates now if your tank was treated for the ich I would say the level cannot be 0. My 37 gallon always had a small amount showing and it was a healthy tank

What salt are you using I heard some cause algae problems. Lighting time ok and you can feed your fish if you have no nitrites as that means no ammonia in the tank

Keep up with the water changes and does your skimmer get anything in the cup. Is it green

What is your water source? Sand & rock new or from established tank? If it was from a tank, how clean was this tank?

Are you using tap water to mix your salt for the changes? If so and you cannot afford a r/o and you need to let the water stand for a few days in a bucket so that the chlorine ECT will evaporate. Not sure how long but it is the old school method. Another way is to buy a conditioner for your water but follow the instructions to the t

nanoreefnate

water soure is some kind of natural saltwater from atlantis....rock was also from atlantis...cured though

Hi Nate

Not sure about the tests but generally green water means nitrates and phosphate problems. Probably more nitrates now if your tank was treated for the ich I would say the level cannot be 0. My 37 gallon always had a small amount showing and it was a healthy tank

What salt are you using I heard some cause algae problems. Lighting time ok and you can feed your fish if you have no nitrites as that means no ammonia in the tank

Keep up with the water changes and does your skimmer get anything in the cup. Is it green

im using some kind of natural saltwater from the sea....and my skimmer get greenish skimate and it used to turn brown...thats what lead me to belive it was either free floating algae orphytoplankton

water soure is some kind of natural saltwater from atlantis....rock was also from atlantis...cured though

what is Atlantis? I have read some stories on this forum and noticed that the ones with bad problems never mix their own water. I have been doing this since you were 5 ( now I feel old) and personally would never buy my salt water from anyone. Nate their water could be half of the problem

Off to bed right now its late here but keep up with your water changes for now

I use the Api test kits ammonia nitrite nitrate calc phosphate. Stay away from those multi strip tests that Lfs use they are not accurate

nanoreefnate
what is Atlantis? I have read some stories on this forum and noticed that the ones with bad problems never mix their own water. I have been doing this since you were 5 ( now I feel old) and personally would never buy my salt water from anyone. Nate their water could be half of the problem

Off to bed right now its late here but keep up with your water changes for now

I use the Api test kits ammonia nitrite nitrate calc phosphate. Stay away from those multi strip tests that Lfs use they are not accurate

lol...dont feel old...anyways...atlantis is here in the bay area...its a sponsor of nona reef in fact....i think i can trust them plus im friends with many of the workers there...and they always say the get nsw...they even run out cuz the person who is supposed to fill up the water tank come like 3 days late...they also use a spectapure 6 stage rodi filter...so...yea...

and about the testkit...i use the same exact one...api master reef and marine test kists...but ill go overther some time this wee and ill ask them to check my water using their salifert test kits...

Well, if your tests are coming up at 0 for everything you test, then it must be that the algae is growing at a rate that it uses up the nutrients as soon as they become available. If the nutrients aren't coming from a water source, then the best bet is overfeeding or something of that nature. Is it possible someone else is feeding the tank too and you jsut dont know about it? Anyway, I'm no expert, but Mr.Fosidef. is. He's one of the most experienced/knowledgable people on the forum, so make sure ya listen to him cause if anyone can help ya out I'm sure it's probably him.

Thanks for the vote, Captain. :blush:

Have all of your waters tested. Tank, change & topoff. As others have said, phyto blooms can drag down nutrients to undetectable levels. However, your skimmer is pulling out algae which means you are exporting nutrients. So, to have the bloom be sustained, there needs to be input from somewhere.

If you have been doing waterchanges with nutrient-less water, you probably aren't seeing blowback from your previous months overfeeding.

geekreef_05

It sounds like the most logical solution is finding a new source of salt water. Either another retailer or mix it up yourself.

good luck.

Archived