ReefCleaners.org

Adding rock to your tank via corals?

mane3215

When you get your tank aquascaped the way you like, and you start to stock corals, most of them come on rocks I assume?

How do you keep from your tank becoming a huge rock pile when adding all types of new corals?

This may be a lame question, but just curious =).

Thanks.

Valid observation. It depends on the corals actually. Some of the corals (like SPS frags for example most generally come unattached and all you have to do is glue them somewhere). My wellsi I acquired recently came on a decent sized flat rock that worked on my substrate. Each coral is different. The good news is you don't have to be overly concerned as most corals won't come on monstrous sized rocks at all.

Pretty soon you'll be an aquascaping architect and will have no trouble filling that last 1/2" of tank real estate you have left.

:P

heh, aquascaping is a pita. I have ripped my 20l down now about 7 times. I still dont like it, but I think I will just let it be fore now. Getting tired of futzing with it. I just dont want to throw all kinds of extra rock in there with the new corals, hence the question.

I spent two hours with a bucket of saltwater and a toothbrush scrubbing rocks from the 7.5 too. Major PITA, but I was able to get the rocks back where they had come from...an amazing aquascaping feat for me.

scaping is the bane of my existence. As for the mounted coral issues. It sucks. Plain and simple. I planned on leaving room in the tank for the very reason that the corals might come attached. What I have found, and it frustrates me to no end, is that the corals that come mounted have rocks that don't "work" with the scaping so I mount the rock using epoxy or cyanoacrylite and the mobile corals (shrooms and some softies) then move off the rock.

SPS corals usually come unmounted and I glue them to the rock, based on the light needed, flow needed and the proximity to other corals.

It's always a work in progress.

i cut through the rock just under where the coral is attached. most of the corals i have gotten came on rock that was like tufa. then i just glue that to my base rock and pray that my coral won't decide to detach

Archived