Pod Your Reef

Aquarium Systems Millennium?????

CDoskocil9

Are these filters any good for a nano reef what modifications (if any) nedd to be made?

Specifications:This tank-mounted external filter provides mechanical, chemical, and wet/dry biological filtration. Contains a BioGrid Filter Plate to produce a bio-filtration area that is separate from the mechanical and chemical filtration. The Millennium also includes an Adjust-Flow Siphon, ImpellAir Tube Assembly, impeller holder, and impeller cover with venturi. The telescopic intake tube easily adjusts to various depths to fit any aquarium need.

Millennium 1000 Filters 90 g.p.h. and the recommended for aquariums up to 15 gallons.

Millennium 2000 Filters 160 g.p.h. and the recommended tank size ranges from a 10 gallon up to a 60 gallon aquarium.

Millennium 3000 Filters 295 g.p.h. and the recommended tank size ranges from a 20 gallon up to a 100 gallon aquarium.

You probably don't need a filter. Some people run them but you definitely don't need one. All you need is water movement. Filters quickly become nitrate factories unless you are really good about cleaning them. Your live rock is your biological filter.

People who do run filters generally prefer AquaClears because you can put just about anything you want in the media box.

I have a Millenium 3000 in my 55 gallon FW tank. Its a good filter, the problem is it runs dry if power goes out. There's room in the media box to fit stuff, just like the AquaClear. It will give you good water movement, but you can get that with a powerhead also.

I have a MiniBow 7 and until now, I was running SeaGel in a media bag (in a Penguin Mini HOB power filter without the cartridge or biowheel).

However, I just bought an AquaClear 300 to put in my 50W VisiTherm heater and a small Lee skimmer (I still need to cut the skimmer down about 2.5 inches, but that shouldn’t be a problem). I'm replacing the 300's impeller with an impeller from a Mini.

Archived