Coral Vue Hydros

Should I try to keep Blastomussa?

LITTLEFISHEE

LITTLEFISHEE

I am going to start stocking my new tank in a week or so, and I'd really like to keep a Blastomussa. The tank isn't exactly nano

(110 gallons) but I get great advice from everyone here. The tank is 30 inches tall, 38 inches if you measure from the lights to the sand bed. What are there tolerances or intolerances to other LPS corals and growth rate? I am not sure if I want B. merleti or B. wellsi, it will probably depend on what is available. Thanks everyone:)

equipment:

110 gallon jetstream

4 X 96 watts, 50/50, 10,000K PC power quad

tidepool filter

CPR Dual Bak Pak

2 200gph powerheads

222 lbs live sand

50 lbs live rock

30 lbs base rock

Most LPS , but not all.....can and will do well under moderate lighting. I say go for it. 1st try keeping it high on the reef though , then if it seems to be to much for it lower it down a bit on the reef.

I just got a blasto. for my 7g. It is the best looking coral I have ever had:)

I think mine is wellsi, The polyps are completely bright red with bright green in the very inside of the mouths.

They are slow growers, require med to low light and low flow for best polyp extension. Also like all other LPS they need calcium.

Blastos are some of the easiest LPS's to keep in the tank. Their light requirements are accomodating to most anything (except real dark or real bright conditions). I easily recommend them for even the beginning reefkeeper.

Here are mine.

Wellsi:

wellsi.jpg

Merleti:

merleti.jpg

I have successfully kept both a merleti and a wellsi in my 100. They are both at the bottom of the tank in low flow area. You should be able to keep them, just keep them at lower light and water flow.

Archived