inTank Media Baskets

Mitey Mite.....RO/DI unit

airangel

Debating on getting my own RO/DI unit. I am NOT the DIY type so not thinking of those big clunky units that I will have to lie for hours under the sink with wrenches.

The mitey mite LOOKS decent, seems EASY and is affordable. Curious how good it is, how much water is wasted and in general is it worth getting.

How often do filters or whatever need replacing? Should the water be used in a certain amount of time, how long can it be stored?

Thanks for any help

I just ordered one of these myself. All the reading I've done on here and reefcentral says this is a good basic unit.

Hi

Thanks. I couldnt find a lot posted here, perhaps one thread with a mention or two on it. I worry about how slow the units are (in general) and how much wasted water there is (I live in the desert, we're always in a drought). You ordered from manufacturer? Eager to know how you like it. Do you have a large tank? What are your plans for storing the water?

Hey Mr Fosi

I pm'd weetie the other day but hadn't heard back, I do realize folks don't stay home all day at their computers (like I do, lol). So figured I'd post to see how many others may have gotten and used this unit.

Thanks

I have two small tanks, a 12g and a 3g pico. I buy between 2-4 gallons a week for top off and water change so I figure I've spent close to $125 this year alone on water.

I am going to upgrade this year to a Finnex 30 or a CADLight or may do a 55g with a sump so I figured I might as well leap in and get one. I choose the Mighty Mite for several reason, but one of the biggest was that I live in a small apartment with a seriosly small kitchen and bathroom so size and mobility were important. Living room has plenty of room for the tank though. :)

I am not sure exactly how much the ration between waste and good water but I think it is somewhere around 4-1. But take that with a grain of salt. I'm trying to remember where I read that.

I live on the coast a quarter mile from the ocean and we seem to always be in a drought. Probably not as dry as where you are. ;)

Reef Chicks

Hi airangel. I have one so I can give you some pros and cons and a little bit of info. I ordered mine from airwaterice.com and it was $112 shipped 2 day UPS. It is a very small and portable unit, perfect for us reefer chicks. I first put it in a bathroom I have near the tank, hooked up to the faucet but it was too much trouble there because my faucet didn't fit the adaptor they sent correctly (both females). So I wrote them asking how I could install it under the sink and they sent me a $10 part free of charge. That part didn't work for me either because the pipes are made of that flexible material and their part required either copper pipes or plastic pipes. So a friend of mine got me a splitter that finally worked. It sits under the kitchen counter and I don't need to move it from there.

As far as waste water, I asked around before I got it and every unit will have waster water. This one has about 4 gallons of waste per one good gallon of 0 TDS water. Some people collect it and water their plants while others haul buckets to their washing machine. I've used the waste water to refill my pool a couple of times, but I refuse to lift buckets and such, so a few times (when the pool doesn't need water), I've let it drain. I know this is wasteful but I got this unit to simplify my life, not complicate it. And simplified it, it has! I no longer have to run out to get top off water - the hose they provide is long enough to reach both my tanks, and I just stick the little hose in there, tutn the water on and fill it. Its been one of the best investments I've made. It made filling my 50 gallon tank a cinch and although I haven't done a water change yet, I am certain it will be a lot easier than it was before.

I hope the above helps. LMK if you have other questions.

Hi Phishyaly

Thanks for the info. I'm not into buckets either but then I was wondering if I could use the waste for the FW tanks (I have 3, 2 are too small to use Python for cleaning, so I use siphon and buckets). I want easy as well.

Any pic of your set up? Trying to visualize it under sink (I have a mess of stuff under mine). How long is the hose it has? Does it take forever to get a nice bucketful of water? I like the price and the size. The price of the RO i buy is cheap but the place is a hike and with gas at almost $4/gallon I have to factor that into the $1.50 cost I pay for my water jug fill up.

If I do go for it, I'm sure I'll have more questions. Oh are you using a meter to test it? With my luck the connectors won't work on my faucets either (Murphys here)

Hi Shp,

Post when you get yours and try it. Let me know if your faucet connection works for you. I've got the 24g AP and debating a jbj 3g or more likely the 4g finnex, but I have an 80g fw, a 12g jbj nano set up now as fw and a 6.6g bookshelf fw tank. I have JBJ ATO and cannot believe how fast that 5g bucket empties (70wMH and its hot in arizona to boot). With gas only going up, it is a big consideration as its the only thing I buy at the LFS and its not convenient to the house. How much is RO at your LFS?

Reef Chicks

I can take a pic tomorrow under the sink. But it was simple. Today I topped off and all I had to do was take the hose and clamp it on the tank lid, take the waste water hose and put that down the drain and turn on the water. Before I would have had to go to my LFS, carry the bins to the car, take them down, carry them up the step stair to pour into the tank and make a mess with the water splashing everywhere. It is so much easier now!

Now, I dont know about using the waste water for your other tanks. Remember, the water that comes out of there is even dirtier because it is what is left after the filter gets through with it. The hose included is a good 20 feet long, but if you need longer, they sell them a Home Depot or Lowes and are cheap (0.20/ft.).

Let me know if I can help in any way. I'll take those pics for you tomorrow.

Hey Psish

Great on the pics. The hose would for sure work on my AquaPod (if hooked up to kitchen). The waste hose is same or shorter? What is removed that would make the water dirtier, any clue? Filling the washer is an option (i.e its close to the kitchen), hot tub is too far of a hike, only green things I keep alive are algae in the planted tank and weeds outside-neither am I proud of, lol.

I have four of Walmarts green water jugs (tall not squat) and yep, those suckers are heavy to lug into outta the store , into the car, and into the house. I do cheat and buy 2 jugs of salted (am lazy) but that would change with the Mite's purchase, not paying 75c gallon PLUS gas for just salted.

Oh sorry for delay in responding to your original note, for some reason the subscription note never showed up in my inbox, it does on everyone's else's threads I post on, go figure.

Reef Chicks

The waste water hose is alittle shorter - maybe 15' long. But you can always interchange them if you need one longer than the other.

The waste water hose is alittle shorter - maybe 15' long. But you can always interchange them if you need one longer than the other.

Thanks, thought was like really really short ....of course too short to reach the washer. LOL

I saw they are selling tubing on their site, do you know if its 1/4" or 3/8" or something other than they are selling on site? Figured if I was gonna order anyhow....

I just checked their install pics....interesting. Any clue how long you can go w/o replacing parts? And how would you know you would need to?

Archived