Cultivated Reef

Critters came with liverock

Barb

Several critters came with my live rock order from liverocks.com today. Should I put them in the tank? There is several small crabs, a small clam, a couple small snails and long black wormy thing with centipede like legs on one side. I am trying to cycle the tank. I think a few things might of already been put in there.

10 gallon new nano

15 lbs Fl keys LR

10 lbs LS

penguin 550 ph

75 watt ebo jagger heater set to 78 since Sat.

tests done before LR/LS:

PH 8.2

deionized tap water w/ instant ocean 1.023sg

calcium test was at 350

Alkalinity was normal

I know the calcium was low but I read it didn't matter so much during the cycle. I do have whisper jr or a whisper 3 I can use if I need to filter.

Well maybe I should just put them in. I have a glass top covering all but a 1.5" strip in the back(to keep the cats out). I read somewhere about needing lots of oxygen during cycle. Will the cover inhibit this? I can stick in an airstone if necessary.

Also just got a 96 watt CF aqualight today.

A glass top will prevent some evaporation. Evaporation causes cooling and gas exchange (less gas exchange = less oxygen); however, I wouldn’t worry about your oxygen levels too much.

Your powerhead supplies 145 gph, which is a little low; I’d add an HOB power filter to break the water’s surface (gas exchange) and add more flow.

I'd also take the cartridge out of the HOB because it will produce excess nitrates over time (you can use the cartridge if you cloud up the water brushing off algae or aquascaping). I use my HOB power filter to run SeaGel in a media bag.

You might want to keep the crabs in a separate container until you identify them. Those things can be really tough to get out if you decide you don't want them in there, and Gulf rock can come with some nasty little crabs! If they're reddish/purple and hairy with striped legs, then they will probably grow up to be nasty.

Archived