ReefCleaners.org

rio nano skimmer. who uses it? and wats ur experience with it

papajohn40

Has anyone installed this on a Nanocube 28? At that price ($32.99) it's tempting to replace the stock skimmer since I am more concerned about over-skimming than under-skimming. The reviews at Marine Depot look generally OK given how cheap it is.

Here's a link:

http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewItem~act...el~vendor~.html

I got one on eBay for $20, nib. I don't have water in the tank that it will be on so I can't tell you how well it works, but I have never needed a skimmer so, even if it sucks its not really a big deal. If you are planning an sps tank, I would spend more $$$.

I have one.

I had to cut the indent (and duct tape in case of overflow) where the intake tube is for it to fit on my tank. My 20g tall tank has a 1" rim compaired to the 3/4" that my other FW tanks have. Its also my only acrylic tank, and a old one I picked up used.

Then I put a piece of airline tubing with a screw-type valve over the intake so I can fine adjust the amount of air intake. This also helps in priming after you turn it off (wont accidently mess-up your venturi settings)

I had microbubbles for a couple days.

It is a little noisy but not too bad. MUCH quieter than most of the air pumps available. I have read about a mod that is supposed to quiet the noise, something about super-glue the impeller, but I dont understand what they are talking about (any one else can explain out there?)

This is my first SW tank and my first skimmer so I cant compare to other models.

The skimmate it produces is a tea color, not dark that i've read others have, but my bioload is pretty light and the tank has just finished cycling.

Bottom line:

In this world where you get what you pay for, for $30 I dont think its a bad skimmer.

But if you can afford a better skimmer, go for it.

Archived