ReefCleaners.org

Problems with Aqua Pod Overflow not working, NEED HELP BADLY!

Dj Orion

OK so I have owned a 24g AP for about 6 months now. I purchased it used, and had to re-seal that entire black "false" back because it was breaking away fromt he glass on the bottom of the tank. I put all the tabs in the slots (minus the top tab) and installed a MJ 900 pump for power (replacing the stock pump) I havent had a proper overflow since the day I got this thing. Water just sits even level with the display part of the tank, and I always have a slick oil surface on top of my water. I also have particles floating in the display because I cant seem to get this stupid thing to work right.

PLEASE HELP ME FIGURE THIS ONE OUT!!!

did you try to empty some water. also remove all the filter media and clean it. don't put it back right away just see if that works.

did you try to empty some water. also remove all the filter media and clean it. don't put it back right away just see if that works.

Right now I have taken out all the media and poly fiber pads that I have in the back. It is basically empty. I am going to attempt to siphon some water out from the back today when I do my water change and see if makes any difference. I also have a Koralia k1 attatched to the back right of the tank, do you think that its overpowering the overflow?

Do you have all the weirs in place to force the water through only the top grate?

If you mean the tabs that slide down the track in order to make a false wall, yes. I mean, from what was purchased, all I did was slide the tabs down its track lining and filled the tank with water. Am I missing something?

Scott Riemer
If you mean the tabs that slide down the track in order to make a false wall, yes. I mean, from what was purchased, all I did was slide the tabs down its track lining and filled the tank with water. Am I missing something?

No, that's what I meant. I replaced my stock pump with a MJ1200, maybe you're not getting enough gph out of the MJ900? But then again, others have used the MJ900 with success. Does the MJ seem to be pushing out plenty of flow?

The water makes a definite "drop" through the top grate into the filtration chambers on mine.

No, that's what I meant. I replaced my stock pump with a MJ1200, maybe you're not getting enough gph out of the MJ900? But then again, others have used the MJ900 with success. Does the MJ seem to be pushing out plenty of flow?

The water makes a definite "drop" through the top grate into the filtration chambers on mine.

That might be the problem. I dont see any significant flow coming from the mj 900. It is actually pretty weak. I guess I will try to upgrade to the mj1200 and see if it makes a difference. I also had a cpr aquafuge hanging on the back of the tank but just took that off and am going to replace it with a remora hang on. I thought that the cpr was the problem, but it didnt make any difference.

Scott Riemer
That might be the problem. I dont see any significant flow coming from the mj 900. It is actually pretty weak. I guess I will try to upgrade to the mj1200 and see if it makes a difference. I also had a cpr aquafuge hanging on the back of the tank but just took that off and am going to replace it with a remora hang on. I thought that the cpr was the problem, but it didnt make any difference.

You might try giving the 900 a good cleaning first. It might just be gunked up. Clean the tube too.

Tanque Verde

I agree, it sounds like the problem is with your pump. An MJ900 will work fine--works in mine--but sometimes a maxijet impeller will get hung up (I've never had this happen in regular usage, only when I was tweaking it.) You might test your MJ in a bucket of water just to make sure it's doing its job.

Another possibility, based on your description, is that water is seeping in somewhere through the seal around the false wall.

Scott Riemer
Another possibility, based on your description, is that water is seeping in somewhere through the seal around the false wall.

I thought about that too but the OP said he re-sealed it. Though it is possible he missed something. Easiest thing at this point is to try the pump and see if that solves the problem. ;):)

petkingdom619

i replaced those tabs that slide down with a long single peice of plexiglass. and cut off about 1/4 of an inch off the top so the water would skim. it helps to seal it up some

Scott Riemer
I replaced the MJ900 with an MJ 1200 and now the overflow works like a charm. Thx guys!

Excellent. The only thing you need to watch now is for temperature. The MJ1200 is 20 watts, still much less than stock, but more than the MJ900 at 8.5 watts.

Excellent. The only thing you need to watch now is for temperature. The MJ1200 is 20 watts, still much less than stock, but more than the MJ900 at 8.5 watts.

Yes, that is the original reason why I used the MJ 900 but i really wasnt doing its job. As soon as I hooked up the 1200 it made a HUGE difference. My tank has a 150w sunpod MH fixture above it, and another mj 900, Koralia K1 and tunze pump in it and its about 80 in there now. Hope it stops there b4 the dog days of summer.

• 1 month later...

I read on here that putting a piece of plexi in front of the grates, leaving the top open, will lower the water level in the back a couple inches. The suction should be enough to hold the plexi on. So I have read. :)

Archived