SaltCritters.com

too many critters?

12thMan

I am currently fighting a monstrous battle with hair algae in my tank. My inhabitants are: one peppermint shrimp, one tiger pistol shrimp, 7 or 8 hermits (red legs, blue legs, and zebras), and 4 or 5 astreas. I have been doing frequent (2-3 times a week) water changes for the last few months and this hasn't slowed down the growth. My next step is to add a emerald or sally light foot (which ever one comes in first at my lfs) and maybe a lawnmower blenny. Would this be too many critters for a 10 gallon? My specs are:

10 gallon tank

15-18 lbs live rock

26 watts 10k

26 watts actinic

80 deg F

gsp, hairy mushrooms, some yellow zoos and button polyps

Tank was running beautifully for almost a year before the hair algae hit. Now all of my live rock looks like chia pets; I even have hair algae on the glass, powerheads, snail and hermit crab shells. I know phosphate sponges are supposed to help with this, but I don't know how to put one in my tank when I just have powerheads and no hob filter.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

i second the turbo.

no hob? that's amazing....very au natural

kalkwasser is better than phosphate removers...tho i use both...kalk makes the phosphate precipitate, raises calcium which microalgae does not like, helps your coralline overpower the micro, and keeps your pH high which further discourages microalgaes......this is all preventative though

the turbo will eat what you have in there now

Chupacabras

Cerith snails decimated my algea. Scarlet and blue leg hermits don't do a dang thing it seems. Try adding five Cerith's (not the long, slim slimy ones but the short, fat juicy ones), they're slow but they just don't stop working! Turbo's just seem too big and prone to falling on their backs.

I appreciate the tips, but back to the original question. Will adding the emerald or sally light foot and the lawnmower blenny make too much livestock for my 10 gallon?

IMO no.... my crabs only picked at the algae when they were starved....or they would go for the hermits. i have no exp with lawnmowers... i just know that some snails are dedicated algae eaters.....they don't stop what they are doing when flakes or meaty foods are thrown in the tank

Archived