SaltCritters.com

Reef lights but what about 2?

Nano_Nate

OK im setting up my Nano Reef and i kno i need good lighting and i already planned to get 2 lights can you help me decide what 2 out of these:

Reef Sun:

50/50 combination of 6500k trichromatic daylight phosphor and actinic 420 phosphor in the same lamp.

Ideal for marine aquariums, reef aquariums, African cichlids and discus fish.

Provides high intensity full spectrum illumination, strong in the short wavelength blue region essential for photosynthetic corals and invertebrates, balanced with 6500k daylight for natural color enhancement and viewing pleasure.

Long lasting: Effective for up to 10,000 hours

Coral Sun:High intensity actinic lamp with strong emissions in the short wavelength region of the spectrum, peaking at 420 nm.

Ideal for marine aquariums, reef tanks, and African cichlids.

Promotes the growth of zooxanthellae algae, essential for the growth and well being of all photosynthetic corals and invertebrates.

Simulates the short wavelength blue light which penetrates to reef depths in nature.

Output closely matches the absorption peak of blue chlorophyll used in photosynthesis.

Ocean Sun:

10,000k high intensity lamp with strong emissions in the blue spectrum simulating deeper ocean environments.

Ideal for all marine aquariums, reef tanks, and fresh water aquariums where a deep water effect is desired.

Emission spectrum strong in the blue and red regions which supports the photobiological processes of marine algae and fresh-water plants.

Promotes the growth of zooxanthellae algae, essential for the growth and well being of all photosynthetic corals and invertebrates.

Which 2 are good lights for Nano reefs??

newbiefishgirl

I can't remember who, but someone passed this site along to me and gave me a good idea of what kind of upgrade I need to keep the really nice corals in the tank.

If its one thing I have learned from all the reading, if you want corals that are gonna keep in your tank you need not to skimp on the lighting.

go to www.hellolights.com

check out coralite aqualight cf hood w/ quad hood.

I believe it is now on sale for like $98 bucks. VERY good lighting...

I believe the ones you mentioned above will not keep very many corals.

Hope this helps

:)

What size aquarium are you planing?

What do you want to keep in it should be your first question.

Then what type of lighting.

Those are all NO bullbs from zoo med.

I just saw on your other thread about Kent Marine Aqua Dose 1400 Delivery System that you have a 10G aquarium.

The light that newbiefishgirl recomended would be the way to go. With that light you will be able to keep many different corals.

Do not waste your money on the zoo med lighting and put it towards buying an Aqualight from coralife or something similar IMO. The Aqualight price is impossible to beat as a retro hood will cost you just as much and you still don't have the fans or a canopy to put it in.

P.S. From what I've heard buy the legs for it too if you do decide to go with this light.

You might be able to. it depends on the wattages and types of lights (t5, t8 or PC) If they are PC - fine for softies, if the are NO (normal florescent) they would be OK for shrooms and zoo's, softies might struggle though.

As for color temps I like 1 10000k and one actinic. I've never been impressed by a 50/50 bulb yet.

Archived