inTank Media Baskets

Polychaete reproduction

gullmo

Does anyone have information on how a standard bristleworm reproduces (i.e. the ones usually with a pink looking tail end and head and patch of purple in the middle)? I just noticed a few in my tank last night for the first time and was interested in trying to promote an increase in their population. I think that it may be through regular sexual reproduction and producing planktonic larvae? But I was wondering if they were capable of regeneration. If anyone has any experience with this please let me know.

BTW I tried turning the lights down, lighting a few candles and putting on the Barry White CD but no progress today.

They spawn eggs at night and the male produces sperm and fertelizes the clutch. They hatch prety fast from what I have heard.

So since I only have one worm should that lead me to beleive he leads a lonely sex life and when he dies I'll have no more?

Hog

beleive me you dont only have one. where there is one there will be three smaller ones you never see. Gullmo. yes you cancut them in to and make two worms just like earth worms.but,,,,,,,,, you will get the crap stung out of you when you get stuck by their bristles! :)

I can give you some if you wanna drive out to Columbus. They're nasty little b-stards though. I probably have 50 of them in my 12 gallon and always end up with bristles in my fingers when I move the rocks. I haven't had a bad reaction to the birstles yet, just like fiberglass in your finger. But I've got some monster ones that are looking more and more like fireworms.

They're definitely awsome scavengers though. If you can put up with them. They come pouring out of the rocks when food hits the water and they steal food from my ricordias. I've also got some mini brittle stars.

Archived