ReefCleaners.org

Chiller Options

InTr4nceWeTrust

InTr4nceWeTrust

I recently gave up on fans to try to keep my tank cool. The cost of topoff water will end up being more than a chiller in another after two summers. And the electric bill for the centralized airconditioning will be more than a chiller in like a month. I don't know what chiller will work for me, though. The three options are...

CurrentUSA Prime

HP 1/15

Capacity(BTU) 700

Connections In/Out 1/2" & 5/8"

Flow Rate in GPH (Min/Max) 100/350

Recommended Aquarium Size 50 gallons

Temperature Range 60-80°F

HP 1/10

Capacity(BTU) 1,485

Connections In/Out 1/2" & 5/8"

Flow Rate in GPH (Min/Max) 300/780

Recommended Aquarium Size 70 gallons

Temperature Range 60-80°F

JBJ Arctica

HP 1/10

Capacity (BTU/hr)1270

Volts 115

Amps 2.63

Connections In/Out 1/2", 5/8", 3/4" Barbed

Flow Rate in GPH (Min/Max) 240/960

Tank Size Up to 130

Dimensions 9-3/4" x 16-1/2" x 18-1/2"

I'd like the CurrentUSA 1/15HP because it's the cheapest one. But I'm worried it'll have to work overtime here in SoCal. I've also read they're noisy. If the 1/15HP isn't going to work. Are there any known issues with either the JBJ or CurrentUSA 1/10HP? My LFS says they've had complaints about the JBJ. But I really like that it's known to be quiet and that the tank rating is for up to 130 gallons. Any thoughts or suggestions?

proraptor2

Go with the aquaeuro 1/10hp...It has the highest BTU rating and wont run as much as the chillers listed...I have one and it works awesome

HecticDialectics
But I really like that it's known to be quiet and that the tank rating is for up to 130 gallons. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Tank ratings are only as good as the BTU rating. It can only pull put so much heat. The Aqua Euro has the exact same BTU rating as the Current USA 1/10... interesting, they even look eerily similar lol :shrugs:

InTr4nceWeTrust

How's the noise factor on the Aqua Euro? I hope my LFS can get them. I don't want to order online on such a big expensive item. If they can't get them in, among the three I listed, which would be the best? How good is 700 BTU? And why is the CurrentUSA 1/10 only rated for 70 gallons when its BTU is higher than the JBJ?

HecticDialectics
How's the noise factor on the Aqua Euro? I hope my LFS can get them. I don't want to order online on such a big expensive item. If they can't get them in, among the three I listed, which would be the best? How good is 700 BTU? And why is the CurrentUSA 1/10 only rated for 70 gallons when its BTU is higher than the JBJ?

Higher the BTU rating the better. JBJ's just stretching the truth a bit...

wouldn't you still have to top off almost as much? 90F outside 78 inside tank water = evaporation?

i'm interested in the answer too, maybe looking for a chiller for my 55g also

InTr4nceWeTrust

Ahh allright, thanks.

I don't think you'd get more evaporation with 90 outside and 78 inside. From what I know, evaporation comes from the water cooling. I think somebody else mentioned that with hot temp on the outside and cool on the inside, the tank just "sweats" a bit.

But again, can anybody comment on how noisy the CurrentUSA chiller is and any pros/cons against the JBJ.

just because atmospheric temp is higher than water temp doesnt mean an increase in evaporation

evaporation is a combination of humidity and temp, higher humidity the lower the evaporation because the air has more moisture is already high

now if water temp was high and humidity was low then youd see a huge evap rate

• 3 months later...

go with the next size up so it works more efficiently with less energy. let's say a chiller is rated up to 60 gallons and you have a 55, go with the next size up. a 1/10 should do the job nicely for your 55.

Archived