SaltCritters.com

Help on Lighting my new NANO

Chrash236

Hello,

I dont' have any pictures on here yet but I am setting up a standard 10g nano and I purchased a 150 watt Mini Pendant from PFO measurements are 7.5w, 4.5h, and 12L. I am told that this will hold a 250 w bulb, I not going to do this but does anyone know if 150 will fry everything in this tank? I am looking to put two true clowns in there.

Any help on the other things I should buy would be great!!!

I have only done fish only in the past , but my wife fell in love with little nemo and so what do you know were getting a new tank ;)

What I have now

10g all glass

150w mini pendant by PFO

15lbs Live sand

Penguin 170 with Bio wheel

viaaqua 101 powerhead

8Lbs of live rock ( I know that isn't enough but when ever you buy corals rock generally comes with it and I don't want a crowded tank with rock.

Also could I slip a sand sifting gobie in there?

And does anyone know how I should mount this light up on the tank.

All of your advice would be greatly appreciated.

Chris for Norman, OK

many corals and fish just need to be acclimated to new light. when i upgraded from a standard flourescent to a 32w compact....my tank looked too bright and bleached. i preferred the warmer brighter colors of the old tube. ....but a few days later....all the corals adjusted their pigments and the colors were way better. same should be true of mh. since it is a pendant, you have the option of adjusting its distance from the tank.....and if you upgrade to a larger tank you will be set.

shrooms, trumpets, and fox corals are a few that might burn under direct mh lighting......but on the dark face of your rocks should be fine. with lighting as intense as mh, you will really want to read up on tank placement of different coral species, so you don't burn low light species.

the fish should be fine

you said you got the HQI pendant, you got the ballast for it too, right?

When i updated to MH a long time ago, i ran the normal lights for teh same time as usual, but i ran the MH for 1 hour a day, then gradually increased it over the next 2 weeks ....no bleaching at all

No I didn't get the ballast with it to my suprise, so I called the guy I bought it from and told him that I didn't want it. It was an impulse buy anyways!! So now I have to find a lighting system. Any help with what I should get???

Funny you put that there I'm on ebay right now looking for one! and I have a 24"130w delux on my 55 gallon right now thanks for the link.

i would go with 2x36watt so you can still haev dawn dusk. you can till keep everythign under this lighting look at brooklynjohnnys tank on this board that is an awesome exaple of what can be done wiht pc lighting. i think the 1150 w would have been awesome and many on here have ahd way more such as lunchbucket with i think 400w over his 20gallon. you just need to be careful with coral placement but i always say the more ligh thte better.

I'm also in the process of setting up a 10 gallon nano. Just waiting a couple weeks or so for the cycle to complete. Once that is over, I will be purchasing the 2X36 watt PC retro from ahsupply.com. This thing only runs for about $63. Course you need to build a canopy but for a 10 gallon that won't take no time to do.

I loved the look of Brooklyn Johnny's tank...was looking at the light set-up before I saw his thread and was just debating if I could find something better. But...once I found his thread and read that he uses the same one I'm definitely getting that.

Originally posted by Chrash236

lots of you are reading this and no one is helping wtf

Thats not a very good atitude.

Dear, AbSoluTc

Sorry about that I was frustrated with like twenty people reading the thread and no one saying a word, so I appologize for my wording, and I'm a reefer so I should be calm and patient. Thank you for pointing out my attitude.

Thanks for all of the great advice everyone. I ended up buying the CL 96w with legs for $103 shipped to my door :) off of ebay. so we will see how it works out.

Archived