ReefCleaners.org

Help with NEW 80 gallon

Ocho Cinco

If you are in Michigan, you should pay a visit to The Fish Doctors. I go to the one in Ann Arbor/Ypsilanti and they are great. Lots of good advice. For lights, I'd look at a sunpod. I have one on my 40G and I love it. Its got 2 HQI bulbs and its 14k. They aren't cheap though... I'd do 1-2lbs of of LR per gallon. I actually like the Coralife Super Skimmers. You can put one in your sump/refugium. They aren't that expensive and they produce a lot of gunk.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ocho Cinco
If you are in Michigan, you should pay a visit to The Fish Doctors. I go to the one in Ann Arbor/Ypsilanti and they are great. Lots of good advice. For lights, I'd look at a sunpod. I have one on my 40G and I love it. Its got 2 HQI bulbs and its 14k. They aren't cheap though... I'd do 1-2lbs of of LR per gallon. I actually like the Coralife Super Skimmers. You can put one in your sump/refugium. They aren't that expensive and they produce a lot of gunk.

Yeah, look 2 posts ahead. I always go to the Fish Doctors. I'm like 2 minutes from the one in Canton.

Can I do one out and 2 returns? I would like that because it will give me more flow without having to use a powerhead.

the flow you get from your return from the sump wont be enough if youre planning on keeping sps

finnex fixtures arent very good from what i remember unless they changed them

how deep is the 80? im planning on doing an 90 and remembered that was a really deep tank so unless the finnex has individual reflectors you may lose lighting near the bottom which is ok if you go mixed tank

if youre only doing fowlr you may just want to go with the pc's for 150

Ocho Cinco
the flow you get from your return from the sump wont be enough if youre planning on keeping sps

finnex fixtures arent very good from what i remember unless they changed them

how deep is the 80? im planning on doing an 90 and remembered that was a really deep tank so unless the finnex has individual reflectors you may lose lighting near the bottom which is ok if you go mixed tank

if youre only doing fowlr you may just want to go with the pc's for 150

Yeah I'll decide on what I'm gonna do for flow. I was hoping to have 2 ins. I'n not sure how good Finnex lights are. I got it because it was $100 chaeper than most lights and not many companies offer a 6 bulb. It either 4 or 8. At least that is what I found. A light is a light to some extent, right? I'm doing a mixed tank and the light I got has a single reflector (I think, just one piece of shiny metal). What are the chances that if I have my tank drilled that it will crack? Oceanic said all the bottoms are tempered but the sides, front and back are not. So if I drill other than the bottom will it crack?

I think what they meant is the bottom is not tempered but the sides are ;)

Tempered means its been ultra heated to make it stronger...therefore and why

MH glass lighting shields must be tempered or it might explode.

So you can drill the bottom but not the sides.

I would have them drill 1 drain and 1 return either in the corner or

middle of tank...install overflow box inside the tank.

Nice thing is if you place overflow box in the middle you could Y your

return to cover both right and left with even flow.

But unless you instal and Ocean motion to flow from the top...and pull from refugium

Your probable gonna end up having to use some kinda PH setup for good non-laminate

flow

Izzue

I think what they meant is the bottom is not tempered but the sides are ;)

i think u got it backwards. on my 75g aga only the bottom is tempered. most tanks r built this way.

as long as u or the peron thats drilling the tank knows what they r doing u shouldnt have any problems. but sometime glass will have a weak spot and just explode. thats why noone will garentee it.

for some reason i thought u got the tek light. with the finnex u will probabely be limited on what u can keep.

Ocho Cinco
i think u got it backwards. on my 75g aga only the bottom is tempered. most tanks r built this way.

as long as u or the peron thats drilling the tank knows what they r doing u shouldnt have any problems. but sometime glass will have a weak spot and just explode. thats why noone will garentee it.

for some reason i thought u got the tek light. with the finnex u will probabely be limited on what u can keep.

So, the bottom IS tempered? That is what I thought, but he said differently. My lfs said they have NEVER seen one break. I'm feeling pretty good about that. Why can I do less with that? Isn't 6X54 watts the same as any other 6X54 watts?

Wow...Sry most Marine tanks are built the other way around.

Thats what it reads...

Did you ask for the reef set up or is it a fresh water setup...they even

show a reef model drille from the bottom.

If the tank indeed has a tempered bottom...NO sir would I drill it.

If you indeed get a tank with non tempered sides...you will either have to install

HOB overflow box...which I would not recommend...or drill bout 7 holes to

install what would be one hell of a setup...

But it voids your waranty.

So why not get the Marine tank...

Izzue

6x54 is the same as 6x54 until u add ind reflectors. with 1 reflector not as much light is pushed into the tank.

Ocho Cinco

Marine tank? I have no idea what your talking about. I bought a used oceanic tank. I'm getting 1 hole drilled in the back for a out and am going to hang 2 nozzle things on the back for flow.

6x54 is the same as 6x54 until u add ind reflectors. with 1 reflector not as much light is pushed into the tank.

Ahhhh. I see. How limited am I?

i dont know how limited u will be as i run a mh setup. i think u may have trouble with some of the higher light demanding corals (acro).

Ocho Cinco
i dont know how limited u will be as i run a mh setup. i think u may have trouble with some of the higher light demanding corals (acro).

That's kinda what I expected. So do you think I'll be OK drilling the back?

i wouldnt even worry about cracking the tank. the glass is thicker on the bigger tanks so there isnt as much of a chance of it cracking. as long as they keep the bit and glass cooled shouldnt be a problem. i drilled the back on my 75 myself with no problems.

Ocho Cinco
i wouldnt even worry about cracking the tank. the glass is thicker on the bigger tanks so there isnt as much of a chance of it cracking. as long as they keep the bit and glass cooled shouldnt be a problem. i drilled the back on my 75 myself with no problems.

I'm getting it drilled on Frriday. Just some hole for an out. I'm gonna get a custom made "L" shaped thing to attach to it which the water will overflow into.

Marine tank? I have no idea what your talking about. I bought a used oceanic tank. I'm getting 1 hole drilled in the back for a out and am going to hang 2 nozzle things on the back for flow.

Doh...

I see now...used tank non-drilled...can I drill!!

Sounds to me you can drill the bottom...Id rather that and install overflow

then drill up the back panel...but thats up to you.

But good luck...

Cause to me drilling 1 hole and looping a return overthetop is :huh:

Why not just drill 2 holes in the back etc...Keep thinking about what

you final outcome will be ;)

Izzue

Ocho Cinco
Doh...

I see now...used tank non-drilled...can I drill!!

Sounds to me you can drill the bottom...Id rather that and install overflow

then drill up the back panel...but thats up to you.

But good luck...

Cause to me drilling 1 hole and looping a return overthetop is :huh:

Why not just drill 2 holes in the back etc...Keep thinking about what

you final outcome will be ;)

Izzue

Did you mean to say I "can't" drill the bottom? Yeah I might drill more holes. I'll decide tomorrow. The hang on back out nozzle (not sure what it's called) is very small and does not look much different from being drilled. I'll know more tomorrow.

Ok

My question is...how is the Reef Model they sale with Overflow installed drilled?

If they drill the bottom of that tank...Unless the tanks differ

YOu should be able to drill the bottom also.

The sides can be done...but I think have more stress compared to bottom

drilled holes with overflow box installed.

Izzue

Ocho Cinco

I have no clue. i just want to get it done the safest way. Plus i don't see the point of drilling and then placing a overflow box over the hole. Why not use a HOB overflow box?

Im not a fan of HOB anything...to many times Ive seen things go

wrong using that route.

I dont want to discourage you at all...Just want you to think about

options if available.

Izzue

Ocho Cinco

What about drilling in the back 1 hole for a out and one or 2 for a in? As of now I'm not going to use a overflow box, but in the future I might choose to.

Archived