Top Shelf Aquatics

Is there a Timer w/Dimmer?

killrblue

I have CL 96w Quad, and was wondering if there is a timer with a dimmer feature that guadually tuns on/of light fixtures? My quad blasts light when turned on. I want to have an effect of sunrise/sunset for my tank.

if the quad lights have separate ballasts, then you put the actinic on earlier and later and that gives you the dawn/dusk effect that you are looking for.

It should be pointed out (again) that this is really more for aesthetics than anything else.

I believe it only has 1 ballast because it has only 1 switch and 1 96w quad bulb. Both actinic and 10k come on at the same time.

quad.gif

So the instantaneous blast of light does not affect livestock?

You could add a NO actinic and have that come on before your quad if you're concerned about it. I've been thinking of doing something like that, mostly for aesthetic reasons though I do wonder if sudden blasts of light are stressful to fish (or at least annoy them).

You can read about people catching PITA fish by "stunning" them with turning their lights on in the middle of the night. Not sure how much it effects them at normal times though.

Archived