Coral Vue Hydros

Beware Digital Thermometers are NOT Accurate

Sandeep

The Propagator
Stevie checks his tank temp from his desk across the room.

Hey ! Maybe I should get one then !!

My AV is not all that far off from my physical appearance so it may be adventagous for me to get one to up hold my fat lazy stature in the community ! :P

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hey ! Maybe I should get one then !!

My AV is not all that far off from my physical appearance so it may be adventagous for me to get one to up hold my fat lazy stature in the community ! :P

haha

IMG_8319.jpg

IMG_8320.jpg

Not bad. The laser is the best part, the fish try and eat it, too much fun from the desk. This one was $25 on a woot off.

Does that actually read the temp inside, or does it pick up the outside of the glass? We all know from the sticky thermometers that the outside of the glass can vary notably from the inside....

The Propagator
haha

IMG_8319.jpg

IMG_8320.jpg

Not bad. The laser is the best part, the fish try and eat it, too much fun from the desk. This one was $25 on a woot off.

You sir are my hero !!

LOL !!!

Does that actually read the temp inside, or does it pick up the outside of the glass? We all know from the sticky thermometers that the outside of the glass can vary notably from the inside....

You are correct, it will only read the temperature of the outside of the glass, but it is damn close. I just did it close to the glass (a few inches away) and it read 79.5°, pinpoint is reading 79.9° so it possibly does "reach" inside. To measure the water accurately you have to open the lid and point it at the water surface.

From 5 feet away it is reading 78°, from 10' 76°.

Hey Stevie, is it accurate though? And how do you rate your PinPoint digital verses other ones?? I have a thermometor built into my digital multimeter, I should compare that to other thermos I have around. I did use it to test the temp of my catalytic converter after a long drive, and it'll read up to and over 600F I discovered, lol! At that temp the end of the probe started to melt. :P

now thats just fancy reefing hu

I think that thermometer requires a background check, a 5 day grace period and a safety lock. Haha! It may also have a warning label regarding cancer. Nifty.

Hey Stevie, is it accurate though? And how do you rate your PinPoint digital verses other ones?? I have a thermometor built into my digital multimeter, I should compare that to other thermos I have around. I did use it to test the temp of my catalytic converter after a long drive, and it'll read up to and over 600F I discovered, lol! At that temp the end of the probe started to melt. :P

If the fish are not floating and the corals aren't melting, it is accurate enough.

This gun can read up to 608°F. Is my pinpoint accurate, who knows. It reads what other therms do when put in, maybe it is a few tenths off if this infrared one is more accurate. Who knew reading temp could be so fun. I should try it on the engine block or turbo on my diesel truck, that thing gets really hot.

Overall, the pinpoint I have is accurate, much more than say a coralife. I like it, but others have had problems. My first sender went haywire after a year, new one works fine again. It was telling me the tank was 107°! Scared me for a second. The wireless aspect is pretty nice.

Yeah, wireless interferance would worry me in the mack of my mind... But that's good to know it's pretty accurate.

Turbo... I dunno, I've seen some that get hot enough they will actually glow orange, I think the gun will be pegged at max temp, lol! I need one of these things though, I'll be temp reading EVERYTHING in no time! :D

keep checking woot, $25 otherwise they get pretty spendy. After you do get one, you will check everything, prepare for about an hour of wasted I mean educational time :D

The digital one that came with my RK2 is pretty accurate....

anyone know how long these things last? or the ones in the AC jrs in particular?

sorry if this is a hi jack

The Propagator
keep checking woot, $25 otherwise they get pretty spendy. After you do get one, you will check everything, prepare for about an hour of wasted I mean educational time :D

I'm easily amused. I can waist the whole day with a box of tooth pics and an air tank and a concentrator nozzle !! LOL! *SHHHHHHHHHHH pewwww THWACK !!!* OW !!! MY $%^CKING LEGG YOU JERK !! :haha:

anyone know how long these things last? or the ones in the AC jrs in particular?

sorry if this is a hi jack

I've had my ACjr for a year and a half now, on my 3rd temp probe. :( The first 2 unexpectedly went belly up on me. When you email Neptune about it, they try to blame it on your rough housing them around, what a load of crap! Once it's put somewhere, why would it move or be damaged unless eventually the salt gets to them... <_<

The Propagator

Thats why I have never gotten a controller yet.

Because from my comparisons with buddies who have them they are no more accurate then most test kits. It comes down to an ease of use thing. User preference. Do you want to test it or do you want to pay $600 for the test equipment that does the same thing ?

I'll test it my self thanks ! LOL!

wow what a great thread, i think you guys just help me solve a problem. I have an AP24 and have had a coralife digital in there since i got the tank and it has always to me read the right temp but after reading this i pulled out my old stick on glass thermo and there was a difference of 10 degrees so i thought the glass might have been off so i got out the meat thermo and the reading is the same as the glass so when i thought the my temp was 76 it is really 86. and i thought that my hearter was off b/c i had to have it set at like 86 to get the digital to read 76. man that makes me mad b/c i have been slowly cooking my corals and thought it was something else grrrrrr...

I would think something like this would be more accurate, wouldn't it?

http://www.airwaterice.com/product/HMCOM10...OMBO_METER.html

I just ordered one yesterday.

Needed a TDS meter anyway and had a gift certificate from the recent Frag Swap I attended.

I think it will be fairly consistent as long as the battery is good. Hard to say about accuracy but I'm sure it will be more accurate than the coralife. Great combo tool for sure, if it works well. Compare it to a couple other sources if you can and let us know what you find.

yeah you would think it would but now after seeing the difference i dont think i will ever trust digital again. i have lost like $200 in coral over the last month or so and i thought it was b/c i have been batteling cyano and my water was just not right and then i thought it was my lights so i replaced them. now i know what the cause it. Slowly cooking them.

Get an NIST certified digital thermometer. We are required to use NIST certified thermometers in our microbiology/chemistry lab at work.

They aren't too expensive:

http://www.professionalequipment.com/trace...l-thermometers/

+/- 1 degree accuracy is pretty good.

I totally agree. Having worked in a calibration/metrology lab, its next to impossible to prove NIST wrong. :D

My Aqua-Mate digital salinity meter has built-in temp checking and it takesabout a minute or so for it to level out at a temp. I'm too impatient to wait for that. :P So just beware Weetie, the temp sensor in those take a while, same applies for my HM Digital TDS-3 model TDS/Temp meter I have.

Archived