ReefCleaners.org

How long does it  take for Xenia to "settle"?

ladyamanda

Well I ended up at the LFS, and found a beautiful aquacultured piece of xenia, with some mushrooms right at it's base....Well after putting it in my tank, it was weakly pulsing.

This morning it was even more weakly pulsing, and slumped over.  I just did a 1 gal water change, and it seems to be at leasr partially perking up, although it looks like a few of it's "hands" are hardly moving, probably damaged on it's way home.

I plan on doing another 1 gallon tonight if it's not looking much better....does this sound about right to everyone?

You need to give the xenia some time to acclimate in your tank. I'm guessing the reason the xenias looked limp and slumped over this morning was due to no light during the night?

Maybe, I'm not sure since I'm not sure how it should look "normally" in the AM, I just saw it in the LFS.  It was slumped over last night too...I'll try to upload a pic of how it looked this morning after a 1/2 hour or so of light.....

OK, we're going to try this......:)

This is what the Xenia frag looked like this morning afther about a half hour of light.....it was pulsing very weakly....I did a gallon water change for good measure, and it perked up a bit....

xenia.jpg

Any suggestions, or comments (like is this normal and I'm just a panicked newbie....:)  Is just fine....

(Edited by ladyamanda at 2:32 pm on June 26, 2002)

Well, I'd still say wait a couple of days... When I first bought my xenias, they opened up right away but within a couple of days, they became limp and almost looked dead. I left them alone and they're freakin the size of trees now. The best thing to do is just try to be patient instead of doing water changes left and right, (unless you tested the water and there's something wrong with it..)

Pumping Xenia, Cultured

Quick Stats

Family: Xeniidae

Origin: Indo-Pacific

Color Form: White, Ivory, Brown, Light Green

Ideal Supplements: Iodine, Trace elements

Reef Compatible: Yes

Tank Conditions: 72-78ºF; sg 1.023-1.025; pH 8.1-8.4

Water Flow: Medium to High

Light: Medium to High

Dominance: Peaceful

Placement: Bottom

Care Level: Experts only

The Xenia Pumping Corals are also referred to as Pulsing Corals, or Waving Hand Corals. They are colonial animals with multiple individual polyps attached to a piece of solid substrate. They form stalks as they grow, and to reproduce. The eight-tentacled polyps pump, or pulse, and many scientists believe the pumping action of the polyps slowly opening and closing is designed to either dispose of gasses and waste, or collect food from the water column, or both. The amount of pumping will vary with various water parameters.

Xenia sp. corals can be very difficult to acclimate; in general, cultured specimens are hardier than wild-caught species. Predatory fish (e.g., Xenia-eating angelfish), crabs, snails, or the stings of other corals may damage the colony quite easily. Therefore, provide adequate space between them and sessile animals, especially other types of soft corals. Some may prefer to be on a vertical surface. They require a medium to high light level combined with a medium to strong water movement within the aquarium. They have difficulty reproducing in an aquarium, however, some experienced aquarists have taken a section from the mother colony and attached it to a hard substrate with epoxy, and had some success. For continued good health, they will require the addition of iodine and other trace elements to the water.

They contain the symbiotic algae zooxanthellae from which they receive the majority of their nutritional requirements. Additional weekly feedings of micro-plankton or foods designed for filter feeding invertebrates are also needed.

definitely try to feed it some kind of liquid food.  turn off the current in the tank, take an eye dropper full of liquid food, and squirt it all over the polyps.  let it sit there and close up around it, and it should start to look a little livlier.  mine took about a week of feeding to start pulsing like i wanted them too.  now they are growing all over the place.  good luck..

Archived