Coral Vue Hydros

Eheim II canister and heating

Tataynic45

Anyone know why the Eheim II canister filters (such as the 2026) with the heater element installed are compatible with FW and not SW??

MrConclusion

No, seriously, do NOT use that Eheim canister with salt water.

Originally, Eheim intended it to be used with FW or SW, but it didn't work out. Usually their equipment is top-notched. In fact, this is the only serious problem that I know of.

You might see some "old" information that it's OK with salt water, but this is not true. Eheim had a problem with the fabricator that manufactured the heating elements. The element is not 100% stainless as it was supposed to be. They changed to a "freshwater only" recommendation, but in fact there have been problems with FW too, the elements corrode.

It's too bad because Eheim is otherwise a fantastic company. I have a Fish Only tank running with their interval filter (known as the wet/dry canister) which is the best working, most flawless, quietest, most reliable and biologically effective machine you can imagine. The only way it could be more perfect was if there was a built in heater!

That canister filter/heater idea was great. That sucks that they haven't really done anything about it after about a year. I guess marineland HOT is the way to go then.

MrConclusion

No, the Eheim is a better filter than the HOT magnum, which doesn't do much more than a conventional HOB filter. The Eheim actually has a lot of biological capacity, while the magnum just has a cartridge. I would get a new Eheim without the heater option.

Archived