Coral Vue Hydros

Neon green finger leather

Korbin

My LFS has a few frags of an awsome neon/lime green finger leather, and I want to get it, but have never heard of it.   After reading some posts about dyed corals, I'm a little concerned that it might be dyed.  Has anyone ever heard of this type of leather, and do you have any info on it?

NanoReefer53

i've seen leathers with a tint of green here and there but never a full neon green leather. Try searching it up online.

Oh, here it is.  The small ones are solid bright green, but they had some big ones that looked like this.

I guess its a Nepthea.  They are kinda hard to keep, and the green ones like lower to moderate light, from what I've read.  They are also able to eat plankton.

1GREENNYPH420315.jpg

Ok, I just went back into my LFS and they had some leather corals that were hot pink.  I mean they were flourescent-hurt-your-eyes pink.   The kind of pink that you don't find in nature.  I asked the LFS guy about them and he said he thought they were dyed in his opinion.   Yet, they are still selling them.  For $70 each.  

I just lost more respect for my LFS.

NanoReefer53

Korbin, I am selling that kind of coral.

Here's a pic of mine, not fully opened when I took the pic though. With only actinic on though, they're are just GREEN as heck, not dyed.

colt.jpg

As for the pink one, i've seen many of those. They're colt corals. I'm not sure if the ones at my LFS was that bright or maybe because they're under 20k bulbs.

Update....

I went back in the LFS a couple of weeks later, and those pink corals were all dying.  (dying as in croaking)

The pink color was fading off of them as well.

How stupid.

Archived