Innovative Marine Aquariums

curious about clams

GPCRalph

Hello,

I just set-up a nano that is about 12 gal with a small sump and skimmer.  It is lit by 2 32 Watt PC light bulbs. Will a small clam be a possibility? Which type could I keep, even if it just means while it is little and trading it in as it grows?

What are the care requirements: I read about occasional feedings with DT- where can I purchase this? Are there any specific water parameters? Anything else I need to know?

Thanks for answering my questions.

Ralph

rhinoivory

In your situation, you could try your hand at a derasa or squamosa clam. Croceas and Maximas are a no-no. Derasa are a low-light clam, and your lighting would be more than fine for this specie. If you wish to try a crocea or maxima you really need a lighting upgrade. BTW, this is what a derasa clam looks like

small clams dont depend too much on lights as their food source. they are filter feeder when they are small. but as they grow, they will require more intense lighting.

clams are really demanding, light is not the only concern. CA MUST be kept up as well as ORP low and O2 content and PERFECT water Conditions. Id rather leave them in the ocean.. honestly. But If you get a healthy one, it can live for years. Particulate foods are helpfull too.:)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Originally posted by neumahrs

derasa or squamosas would be your best bet...one drawback of the squamosa is their growth rate (up to 1-2 inches a month).

not really ture... it takes many or months and sometimes even years for clams to get very large..so make sure u prived them with food, stable water conditions, and lighting for the future and you'll be fine

• 2 months later...

And here (THANKS FROM PEOPLE AT RAG for ID!!!!) what a CROCEA look like. I got FOUR of them ALIVE and GROWING. Add to that my Elegance.

www.nano-reef.com/reiple

Funny people don't or are afraid of CROCEAs. I did not know they are supposed to be hard to keep. I also did not know before that Elegance are supposed to be hard to keep alive.

Both kind are alive in my nano-reef tank with no MH. Hmmmm.....;)

Originally posted by reiple

I got FOUR of them ALIVE and GROWING. Add to that my Elegance.  

I did not know they are supposed to be hard to keep. I also did not know before that Elegance are supposed to be hard to keep alive.

HMMMMMMMMmmmmm how long have you been areefer and how long have those corals/ clams been under your care?

how old is your tank and you have PC only huh?

call me a skeptic, but Im going to say it now.....

"We told ya so.."

answers to your question dave espi are in www.nano-reef.com/reiple

as i said lots of things I did not know (kept saltwater fishes only tanks a long time ago...I was a kid then in fact. 20 years ago). Very glad corals and clams can now be kept successfully. To date tank should be around 7mos old. (+1-2mos cycle). Still looks same and clams and corals still look alive. (a lot of people tell me it won't last. Heck I am happy it lasted half a year)

btw Elegance is a coral.

Originally posted by reiple

On your website it says you have 8 various powercompact bulbs over your 20 g for a total of 140 watts correct?? With that much compact lighting I dont think you would need MH's just to keep them alive anyways.

Nice tank, hows the weather in the P.I??

printerdown01

Sorry guys but I'm with Nep on this one... If these clams have been in the tank for 7 months (assuming the pic was taken in the last 2 months) they are NOT having problems in the tank. They show full expansion, no bleaching (might be a spot of localized bleaching in the middle of the large blue clam BUT I would venture to guess that is a camera problem). If you notice he has 140W of PC on the tank... AND he has the clams 3/4 the way up the tank. I can't tell from the post however how long the clams have been in the tank... kinda makes it sound like the tank itself it 7 months old and not the clams in the tank...

sigh.....

The Tank is 2 months cycled. The actual age (I always assume that cycling time is not included to tank life) is around 9 months. Then after the cycle period on the first week the squamosa and the red crocea loaded. one week later the bigger blue crocea. another week the two smaller green and blue. I added till I filled it visually. The elegance corals came within the second week with the big blue crocea.

the oldest crocea (i just checked) and the squamosa did grow around 1/2 of an inch (maybe 4-6 layers) for the red crocea and 3 layers on the squamosa.

and yes Nep its got lots of compact flourescent lamp. I don't know if that's the same as power compact lamps (they are called compact flourescent here).

The youngest inhabitant is the big blue-green brain. I placed it around July or August. It's around 2 months old.

And thanks Nep. Weather here is bad (rain-sunny-rain). I am down with a cold now. Thanks anyway.

Nice Tank Reiple:)

That's the most clams I've seen in a nano. Printerdown told me about someone that kept a few blue max's in a 10g w/2x32w PC in their tank, AND it was able to thrive.....not survive. Makes me wonder huuummmm.......maybe..........

I've read you last post on the prices over there, and Man that's cheap!!!! Either the end of this year or next, I'll be going back to the P.I to visit. Not too sure where we'll be going, (Family everywhere) But I'm pretty sure that Quezon City will be one of them. I'll let you know.

sure kimura!

email me when you're here. let's raid the reef stores together. hehehehe.

just went there yesterday (around 10-12 stores bundled together in Pasay-Cartimar area). No new clam available.

my squa is doing bad lately. no, not too little light. too much. I moved it up and it closed completely. placed it in a shady location and it opened nicely.

keep reefin'

• 4 weeks later...

Just a warning before you get a clam. they have many predators, so you might not even think of. I had a 2"dersea for about 5 days and he was doing great. a welk that had tagged on my LR came up on his underside and bored a hole through the hinge where his two shell attach. the damn whelk sucked my clam dry.

That was a very sad day:*(. Just pay close attention to for any potential threats.

Archived