Top Shelf Aquatics

33G Custom Reef w/ full functioning Tide Pool style refugium

zhubbell

i love this idea. I have a buddy that has a dwarf lionfish and a snowflake eel in his 29 biocube. They have been in there for about 3 months now and the only problems have been with the eel trying to eat other fish.

Just wanted to give alittle update before leaving:

Acrylic for the entire setup will be here upon my return from Aruba, a week from Sunday (i leave in like, 8 hrs)

The stand will be done then as well - being built by an awesome wood worker with about 50 yrs of experience by the name of Joseph Kolanko,

and I should have most of what I need to at least set it up upon returning.

It should only take me a day to build the tanks, considering how excited I am

I cant remember if I have posted the final/offical dimensions, so I'm ganna again if I have:

Display: 24x18x18

Tidepool Fuge: 14x14x14

Sump - Not 100%, but most likely 20x14x14 - including 5g ATO resevoir

I'd go into alllll the various details of stocking, scaping etc., if I didn't think they were about to change 100x during the next week while I"m in Aruba Scuba Diving and inspired by everything I see....

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry guys

I just got back from Aruba a couple days ago and have tons of work to catch up on.

The stand is done, but I gotta pick it up from my girlfreinds grandpas house, and the acrylic should be done by Friday.

I am really hoping to be able to have at least most of it built by the end of the weekend.

I have all the LR/LS from this setup circulating in a 30g with filtration and skimmer, and a 96W PC fixture, and I have fragged 2 colonies of zoas, a baseball or so sized chunk of GSP, and I took a small orange ricordea florida, and put them onto larger chunks of the rock, to hopefully start them on the process of attaching and growing on larger peices of rock so that Ill have hearty colonies that'll be resilient to gettin the occasional poking

• 2 weeks later...

Moving along....however, slowly than andticipated....

Stands done...

photo-41.jpg

Looks good, tide pool stand will take a few days...

• 2 weeks later...

Alright...its been a while since I've give you guys an update!

photo-49.jpg

stand, tank, and soon to be added - Tide pool refugium on that smaller stand to the left...

it will be a 14" cube Tidepool, only full about 8" up low tide, about 13.5ish for high tide.

photo-50.jpg

photo-51.jpg

Some coral:

photo-52.jpg

photo-53.jpg

So far the tank houses:

many asst. Hermits and snails, many different types

Also:

3 Emerald Green crabs

Pencil Urchin

2 GSP colonies

about 12 different zoa colonies - all frags from my reef tank (see my signature for picks)

a red monti cap, and a yellow monti cap

2 ricordea floridas - one orange/green mouth, one yellow, green, somewhat purple mouth - both from coral morphologic.

a closed brain

I think that about covers it.....

Oh and a very small chocolate chip starfish in the sump, which is holding all the rock for the tidepool until I get taht built, and plumbed...

The stocking list for that will be inspired and fashioned somewhat as a biotope of an Arubian tide pool:

rock urhcins, seabe and rock anemones, sally light foots, zebra damsels, etc.

We are also consider 86ing the dwarf moray, just cuz I love how the tank looks open top....

We'll see

In its place would either go, a couple more dwarf lions, or possibly a frogfish.

Anyway - let me know what you think!

• 2 weeks later...

Alright, tide pools pretty much up, gotta build a bigger sump (ordering acrylic tomorrow), and gotta order pump, as well as another bulkhead+lockline for return to the tide pool, and then itll be running with the rest of the tank, but until there heres what we got:

photo-63.jpg

photo-64.jpg

photo-65.jpg

let me know what you think.

Inhabitants so far:

2x electric blue hermits

1x astrea snail

1x turbo margarita

1 rock anemone

tons of Caulerpa Racemosa (green grape caulerpa)

ThiefofAlways

thats AWESOMe dude.

Get a time-lapse camera and get the tidal shift for us :P

jus kiddin! but good on ya, most people I mention a tidal pool to just look

at me funny like its stupid and un-needed. Bah on that, might as well I say!!

:)

thats AWESOMe dude.

Get a time-lapse camera and get the tidal shift for us :P

jus kiddin! but good on ya, most people I mention a tidal pool to just look

at me funny like its stupid and un-needed. Bah on that, might as well I say!!

:)

Ya - as time goes On I'll keep updating, but from what i've heard, the tide pool thing is not only more affective then a standard fuge, but also, stimulates different growth patterns in macros, etc., where there is rock that is sometimes submerged, sometimes not.

anyway - I'll keep you posted...

Right now the lighting on the display is a Current 130W PC fixture, but in the next day or two I should be getting my 150W MH, w/ 2x18W Actinic fixture (20" - will be hanging from a PVC style DIY halide stand...

anyone with advice? i've never done one of those...

I'll get more pics up later, its really quite nice in there now! I've got something like 7 coral colonies, and the anem...

Anyway - I'll keep you guys posted.

i'm picking up the acrylic for the custom sump today (it has to be big enough so to accommodate a fluctuating water capacity (the difference between high and low tide in the sump will be ~5g)

Itll be 20x14x14.

The other two things I need to decide:

do i put an independent little 50W heater in the tide or do I just let it cool down during low tide (perceived benefit of this - and I may be wrong - but from what I've read, taht would be potential anemone splitting heaven! - any thoughts?)

second - I dont awnna go probably as big as a mag3 for the tide pool pump do i? what smaller pumps are available and have ppl liked, thatll pump vertically about 3ft, and have a nice easy, threaded 1/2" bulkhead outlet?

Archived